Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Note velocities don't exist, cannot be created

Video Version

The problem is shown in this 1-minute video on YouTube.

Text Version

Because I never used the old version that much, I installed the new improved GarageBand 10.0.1

I've entered some notes using my MIDI Keyboard (Controller). Although their velocity values show when I hover my mouse over the notes in Piano Roll View, the "MIDI Draw" region underneath it is empty. Selecting notes in the PIano Roll does not help. The "Controller" popup on the left is blank. When I click that popup, I get a menu including Volume, Modulation, Expression, … Note Velocity, etc. But upon choosing one, the popup reverts to blank. I can draw lines using the mouse in the MIDI draw area, but the lines disappear when I release the trackpad to end them.

Someone please tell me what is the trick.

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 13-inch

Posted on Nov 28, 2013 3:01 PM

4 replies

Dec 12, 2013 9:31 AM in response to léonie

UPDATE: invisible MIDI values STAY on the track, so you have to move ALL OTHER regions from your track and edit values in place to have them set properly... This is absolutely annoying...

leonie: we are having problems not with velocity values on the notes themselves, but with all MIDI graphs in controler graph area beneath the piano roll.

Dec 12, 2013 10:23 AM in response to lukasz_nou

Thank you, lukasz_nou. You've convinced me that the MIDI controller thing in GarageBand 10 is buggy.

When I tried it today, I couldn't reproduce the problem. So I've submitted the original problem to http://bugreport.apple.com. The original problem now has this number: 15647648.

While I was doing that, I discovered another problem: The slider doesn't always appear. So I made a new YouTube video showing this new problem. I also reported a bug on that, 15647695.

Epilog: I don't think I'm going to be using GarageBand that much. Since then, I've noticed an even bigger bug, which is that GarageBand STILL cannot export a MIDI file! Well, I've since realized that is not a bug in Apple's view. GarageBand is the free trial version of Logic, which they want me to buy. I just wonder if Logic is as buggy with stuff like this.

Note velocities don't exist, cannot be created

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.