You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to change mail display name

How can I change the name that is displayed on emails that I send from my Apple Mail account?

I'm not talking about changing my email address. I'm talking about the name that appears greyed out in the Mail preferences "Full Name" field.

I have already changed the name in my icloud account in the "Manage My Apple ID," yet, there is no change.

Thanks in advance.

Posted on Nov 28, 2013 1:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2013 3:32 PM

Figured this one out. So in case anyone else is wondering, this is the solution:

In Mail, go to preferences. Select the account in question. Select the Account Information tab. Click the Alias popup, and select Custom. Now the Full Name field should no longer be greyed out, and you should be able to edit it.

21 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 29, 2013 3:32 PM in response to Lawrence Sanchez1

Figured this one out. So in case anyone else is wondering, this is the solution:

In Mail, go to preferences. Select the account in question. Select the Account Information tab. Click the Alias popup, and select Custom. Now the Full Name field should no longer be greyed out, and you should be able to edit it.

Feb 25, 2014 11:12 AM in response to Lawrence Sanchez1

I'm stil having a problem. I've added the fields, but in one case one of my friends names was originally added to Gmail as Amy & Irving. I updated it to be first name of just Amy and then listed the spouse as Irving. Oddly enough when this updates I can see the correct name Amy Last Name, however, when I click to edit I see the original names Amy & Irving and note that in Messages what continues to show us is Amy & Irving.

When I try to delete the Amy & Irving which only show up when I click on edit I find that the Amy & Irving is greyed out. I have enabled all the name formats and this is still the case.

It's as if the messages saved with that name won't allow it to update.

Suggestions?

Sep 19, 2014 12:24 PM in response to marcoyuri

Not sure whether this will help anyone, but . . . Even though my name appeared as desired [my nickname] in my PDP account setting (under Preferences > Accounts), emails were coming through as being from [my full name]. I finally changed my name in my iCloud account setting (via the Alias popup and Custom settings) and now email is being sent from [my nickname] as desired.

May 25, 2015 11:53 AM in response to Lawrence Sanchez1

here is a related problem I'm having--when i go to type in my address to send myself an email to my gmail address, it has started to come up as "holidays in the united states" and then my gmail address. i have no idea why this started today all of a sudden. i went in to preferences, account information, description, and no where do i see where this is showing nor how i can change it. this is happening only on my macbook air not my phone or iPad. i checked my contacts and nowhere do see this.

help!

How to change mail display name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.