Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Identifying which number a message is sent to for contacts with multiple numbers

Hi there,

Like many, I have a lot of contacts that have 2 or more mobile numbers stored against their name.

I sent a message to a contact who has 3 numbers. A couple of days later I wanted to check to see to which number I sent the message but I couldn't see any way to display this from the message. The only information given is the contact name of the person I sent the message to, not the number.

Surely there must be a way to do this by tapping on some part of the message. I tapped the message and got options "Copy/More" and "More" gives me the option to bin or forward. Tapping on Contact, gives me the contact name and phone/FT/info icons and tapping on the "i" icon displays the full contact details with the 3 numbers!

The only way I got round this to find out which number it was, was to split the contact in to 3 different contacts as in Name 1, Name 2, and Name 3.This then allowed me to see the number because the message list updated depending on the number that was used. So really, the number is definitely there somewhere, but how to get it!

Any ideas anyone please?

Thanks,

Maz

iPhone 5, iOS 7

Posted on Nov 28, 2013 2:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2013 9:06 AM

Hey Maz K,

Thanks for the question. This can be done by viewing the contact info in Messages. Simply tap “Contact” in the top right corner, then tap the User uploaded file icon. This will bring up the contact card, and the number the message was sent to will be highlighted in blue.

User uploaded file

View someone’s contact info in Messages.

To quickly view someone's contact info in Messages, tap Contact.

- Tap User uploaded file to call that person or User uploaded file to use FaceTime

- Tap User uploaded file to see the person’s complete contact info

If they're not already a contact, you can tap Create New Contact to add them.

Messages - Learn more about iOS 7 and iPhone - Apple Support

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=tidetail&product=iphone&locale=en_US&tag= Messages#TI136

Thanks,

Matt M.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2013 9:06 AM in response to Maz K

Hey Maz K,

Thanks for the question. This can be done by viewing the contact info in Messages. Simply tap “Contact” in the top right corner, then tap the User uploaded file icon. This will bring up the contact card, and the number the message was sent to will be highlighted in blue.

User uploaded file

View someone’s contact info in Messages.

To quickly view someone's contact info in Messages, tap Contact.

- Tap User uploaded file to call that person or User uploaded file to use FaceTime

- Tap User uploaded file to see the person’s complete contact info

If they're not already a contact, you can tap Create New Contact to add them.

Messages - Learn more about iOS 7 and iPhone - Apple Support

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=tidetail&product=iphone&locale=en_US&tag= Messages#TI136

Thanks,

Matt M.

Identifying which number a message is sent to for contacts with multiple numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.