Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

1 year old 27"iMac screen keeps going black

itunes is running in the background, nothing I can do except shut off surge protector...

just started happening, mulitple times a day

So NOT happy with Apple, a $3000 machine! really??? their products are not worth the premium anymore!

not reliable!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.7)

Posted on Nov 28, 2013 5:20 PM

8 replies

Nov 29, 2013 12:27 PM in response to rob kaplan

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

Back up all data on the internal drive(s) before you hand over your computer to anyone. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional — ask if you need guidance.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

Jan 18, 2014 12:05 PM in response to rob kaplan

I have the 21.5 inch iMac - Mid 2011 2.7 Ghz Intel Core i5 with AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512 MB Graphics Card.

When I watch netflix or movies at home, I connect my iMAC out if the mini DVI, to HDMI to my TV. While watching the movies, the image on screen cuts and snaps to complete black, every 5-10 minutes or so. Its soooooo annoying. At first I thought it was my TV going bad, but after a while I noticed it doesnt occur when playing XBOX or watching a DVD. It only occurs when I stream through my highly expensive iMAC.

I notice there is a recall, as stated above for the Radeon 6970, but I think the Radeon 6770 is faulty as well.

My serial number ends in xx...xxxDHJT. It would be nice if MAC would extend the recall to invorporate this faulty Radeon card as well, as they have noticed its affects in other machines.

Oct 3, 2015 11:20 AM in response to marianabueno

I have the same issues. A lot of buzz is going around that it is a engineering issue with the heat and the backlit display.

The buzz is that Apple has not stepped up to the plate and admit it is what it is. Nor from what I hear they have not even

acknowledged this issue. I hear a change.org petition ringing in my ear for some reason...........

27" Mid-2011 2.7 GHz i5

4 equal slots of ram total 8GB

Same vid card as OP.

Re: 27' iMac (2011) Screen turns off

check that out.

1 year old 27"iMac screen keeps going black

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.