Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Dual Displays G5 Dual Core 7800GT

Hi Gang

Happy Thanksgiving.

I'm editing strickly in SD with an older G5 Dual Core 2.0 - 14GB RAM and nVidia GeForce 7800GT 256MB Dual Port DVI Graphics Card. Most Final Cut editors utiliize dual displays. That being said, wondering if I'd be better off with a PCIe nVidia Quadro FX4500 512MB. I believe my friends Chris & BD here on the forum, may prefer the speed of the nVidia Quadro FX4500. I'm also trying to avoid bogging down the system.

Thank you

Mike

Posted on Nov 28, 2013 6:36 PM

12 replies

Nov 29, 2013 9:06 AM in response to DieselFuelForLife

Hello Diesel

Don't think we've connected before. And please don't be offended, I'm a 65 year old Mac user who highly regarded Chris's expertise. He was a bit older than most here, and his experience was impeccable. In my qualified opinion, I've been witness here to countless examples of concieted bloatness and inaccuracy. More so on the FCP forum. In fact, sometimes, despite the higher star rating of a responder, I'll eventually solve my own problem contrary to a short rude incorrect reply, (as though they may appear higher than mighty). But of course this is typical of any forum.

In short, I've found the answer many times lies in different respones from different people. You just have to search.

Getting back to my ole friend Chris, I'm gonna guess he finally got peturbed with all the 'Arm Chair Quarterbacks', (more now than ever).

In any event, here's Chris's well researched list, and I see the X1900 is listed as weaker than the 4500.

http://www.jcsenterprises.com/Japamacs_Page/Blog/71BBF3EF-9713-4C53-8B80-26771F8 A4087.html

I think the answer is that the FULL SIZED nVidia card, (two slots - 512MB), could be more powerful thus preventing a slow down when using two displays.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mac-G5-Apple-PCIe-nVidia-Quadro-FX4500-512MB-Video-Card- MUCH-FASTER-THAN-7800GT-/281164366332

The other advantage with nVidia, (as taught by Chris), is that XTI cards do not have temperature sensors. I use Temp Sensor all the time.

Dec 1, 2013 7:27 PM in response to ENIGMACODE

ENIGMA --

There are hundreds of people who regularly help here, who miss him. And tons of others who Japamac has helped over the years, who miss him. It's a shame that the boards here in ASC have become an opportunity for some really messed up people to deliberately disrespect and stalk such experienced and helpful posters like Chris.

There really is a great void.

Diesel, and all of your former aliases --

That's the difference. You, and others like you will never be missed. Think about it.

Using Dual Displays G5 Dual Core 7800GT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.