Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my imac create multiple copies of files created on desktop folder?

I have a problem that is getting on my nerves for some time now. When I copy, create or move a file to the desktop on my late 2006 imac with snow leopard it keeps creating files till I move them to the trash. The problem does not happen to any other folder in finder windows.

I have tried repairing permissions, verifying disc and trying to copy the file under finder with the same results. I can copy the file or create in any other folder but the desktop. I don't want to loose all my info in order to reload the OS but it is looking like something has it messed up.

Any ideas for this problem? I could try and upgrade to Lion but I will loose all my remote functions and I need that function for watching movies and programs in itunes.

Mac has 4 GB Ram, 1 TB HD and I have stripped it down to the bare bones for devices with the same issue too.

Thanks,

Tim

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Late 2006 model CTO

Posted on Nov 29, 2013 12:19 AM

5 replies

Nov 29, 2013 1:00 AM in response to Timothyfrazier69

It is an odd problem. I have not heard of it before.

You could try locating and deleting the below .plist, by dragging it into the trashcan, then immediately log out and log back in again.

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systemuiserver.plist

If this is still a problem, then log in to another account (create a test one if required), to test if this duplication happens in that account as well?

Nov 29, 2013 5:48 PM in response to roam

Tried your suggestion and it look like the profile is damaged. Creating and logging in with a different user account works fine. Now the problem of getting data from one account to the other if I even bother. I might have to wait and reload the machine from scratch the first part of next year.

But the duplicate happen about 10 seconds after you paste the file on the desktop. This is the only folder that it happens in so far. New account works fine. I am going to try and disable startup programs and see if one of those is causing it too.

Still looking for ideas.

Thanks,

Tim

Nov 29, 2013 8:14 PM in response to andyBall_uk

Thanks Andy.

At my home folder, I right clicked on the desktop folder and selected the folder action setup. There was a rename setup in there that I was using for rename bulk files. I deleted it and tested by shift, command - 3 screen capture and it made one file and no other files showed up after giving it 30 seconds.

Thanks again,

Tim

Apr 4, 2015 7:59 AM in response to Timothyfrazier69

Greetings, I'm having the same duplication problem that you describe, multi copies to the desktop. I tried what you discussed. " At my home folder, I right clicked on the desktop folder and selected the folder action setup" I was unable to open it when it was highlighted. Please help solving this problem the duplication is driving me crazy.

Why does my imac create multiple copies of files created on desktop folder?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.