Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

app started from SMB-Share crashes frequently!

Hello!

I have a customer that has to start a medical program via SMB share. With Server 10.6.8 there was no trouble at all - since we replaced the server with Server 2.2.2 we are in big trouble 😟

The customer uses Windows 7 as client systems and connects to a share at the Mountain Lion server. The clients can connect to the share without any trouble, but when I start the application the trouble begins.

Sometimes the app crashes immedialtly, sometimes the app runs for hours and suddently crashes. A message pops up telling "The program BlahBlah.exe does not react anymore" and thats it. Sometimes the application crashes five times a day at one client while at the same time at another client it runs stable.

So the crashes do not occure at the same time on all clients, it is intermittend. Sometimes the app does not crash at all during the day at one client, the next day it crashes 5-10 times at the same client.

Most of the clients are freshly installed Windows 7 systems.

I setup the timeouts at the Registry as mentioned in another discussion - frist this seams to help, but today the customer called and told me that today every thing looks like before the app crashes intermittend on every client.

I setup smbd with the -debug flag but I can not see that this changes anything in logging messages. The eventprotocol from Windows tells me that it tried to load a dll but the network share was not available.

When I browse the network share when a crash occured I can not see any problems - but I see lots of SMB logins after a crash. Looks like Windows trys to reconnect. AFAIK the connection was never lost.

The customer has a mac mini server, 16GB RAM with a Promise Thudnerbolt RAID running Mountain Lion Server 2.2.2.

Every help is highly welcome, bye

Christoph

Mac mini, OS X Server

Posted on Nov 29, 2013 4:22 AM

There are no replies.

app started from SMB-Share crashes frequently!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.