Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes could not connect because it is locked with a passcode...?

Hi,

I just got my new macbook 2 weeks ago. When i plugged my iPhone, iTunes says it can't connect because it is locked with a passcode. I actually dont have a passcode, and my iPhone connects pretty fine with my other computer (windows). Plus iPhoto was able to connect with my iPhone. What should I do? Is the problem with iTunes or my iPhone?

iPhone 5, iOS 7

Posted on Nov 29, 2013 5:05 AM

6 replies

Nov 29, 2013 5:13 AM in response to rhmcolvin

You will get this message, when you connect the iDevice to a computer, that is different from the one you are usually syncing with. iTunes expects you to enter a passcode and to confirm, that you are trusting the computer that is trying to sync with the device. Since your iPhone does not have a passcode, restore the phone in recovery mode as a new device: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1808

Jun 1, 2014 8:05 AM in response to rhmcolvin

I have a much easier possible solution!!

I had this same issue, trying to connect my new iPhone 5s to my Windows computer's iTunes. I was getting two different error messages:

- iTunes could not connect to the iphone because it is locked with a passcode

- iTunes could not connect to the iphone because the device timed out

I found this thread, but did not like the idea of having to restore my iPhone and losing all my settings/data on the phone. After trying several different things, I discovered that I had 5 devices listed under my "Devices" that were authorized, so the real issue was that I had reached my limit. I had several issues with my old iPhone 5s, and had to have it replaced twice. As a result, I had several old iPhones listed under devices that I no longer had. Erasing those solved the problem, and my new phone connected just fine to iTunes. To get rid of the old devices, you can:

Open iTunes

-> click on "store" in the upper left corner

-> from the drop-down menu, select "view account"

-> enter your password

-> under "iTunes in the Cloud", click on the blue "Manage Devices >"

-> remove any old devices

This solved my problem. Hope it helps others as well!

iTunes could not connect because it is locked with a passcode...?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.