Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unsupported image format

I'm not sure what has happened in the last few weeks, but I'm having trouble with the following error message:

"unsupported image format"

Specifically, it is happening in only one exact scenario. I use a plug in some of you have probably heard of and/or use, Photomatix HDR plugin. The final generated version is the problem.

I can see all my usual Aperture images, canon raw files, and so forth. The final output from the photomatix HDR plugin has this problem.

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this error any further. I've been on the horn with photomatix and they have tried to resolve it from their end. They said that the latest update of Aperture is the problem and their program hasn't done anything different.

I'm not sure how to respond except I cannot use their product anymore. I would think it is their problem, but they said their program is working with the greatest majority of Aperture programs and mine is one of the few.

Anyone else having this problem?

Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

I've kept my system updated with latest everything. I've rebuilt the library, checked permissions, etc

any suggestions on how to proceed from here?

Thanks

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Nov 29, 2013 7:06 AM

5 replies

Nov 30, 2013 8:01 AM in response to Texas_Man_Luvs_His_mac

Texas_Man,

there do not seem to be many Photomatix users around here.

I am not using it either.

But what is your current Aperture version? Your profile signature is saying "OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)", but this exchange with Photomatix seems to imply you have upgraded to Mavericks and Aperture 3.5.: "They said that the latest update of Aperture is the problem and their program hasn't done anything different." What is your Aperture version?

If you are running Mavericks, have a look at this thread:

Re: OSX 10.9 Aperture 3.5 in OSX10.9 does not support HDR images

Perhaps you can use this work-around for the time being?

Photomatix says there is a bug in apple and suggested work arounds that people had used, the main one being to make a new library. I found that if I used the stand alone program rather than the plugin solved the problem. It has the further benefit of having more choices in the processing. Thanks for your interest and your help.

Léonie

Nov 30, 2013 2:54 PM in response to léonie

What do y'all use for HDR processing? I've tried CS6, but I can't seem to get very good results out of it. I'm either dense or it still needs refining. It is better than CS5, but something seems to be lacking.

I've found the plug in to be perfect for Aperture until now, I'm starting to think I may need to look at other HDR options.

I've got aperture 3.5.1 and using the Mavericks. I have this probably not so good habit of just updating everything the moment it is offered as an update.

Suppose I should update my profile on here, I forget about that information.

I have both the photomatix plugin and stand alone program. Their stand alone program is a pain to use, totally a pain. The workflow is unacceptable: initial import into Aperture of all files, then export the ones I want to use for HDR. Then go through the awkward selection and HDR process (flow on the stand alone isn't good), then save to a folder. Then reimport the final product into Aperture.

The plug in was so seamless with Aperture: click the pics I want, it pulls it in, does the work, saves right back in Aperture. Boom, done. The work around for the stand alone is only acceptable for someone who doesn't have Aperture. The additional features are things like sharpening, contrast, all the normal stuff I can do on the fly in Aperture.

Let me take a look at that article you linked, appreciate the communication.

Dec 1, 2013 12:48 PM in response to Texas_Man_Luvs_His_mac

The few times I actually use manual HDR, I use CS5/CS6. True, the results are not impressive, and I try to avoid it as much as possible. With the dynamic range of a new camera, like Nikon D800, one can often bypass HDR completely and just play with the Highlight and Shadows sliders.

Sorry, I'm unable to help with your initial problem.

Dec 5, 2013 1:22 AM in response to Magnus Lewan

Here's the response I got from photomatix:

I can certainly understand your frustration, this bug is proving to be quite a nuisance! The worst part is since this is being caused by a bug in Aperture that only Apple can fix, our options are very limited.

The only thing our engineers can think of that could be done from our end is to avoid the issue by completely changing our plug-in to make it a simple export plug-in that uses Photomatix Pro to do it's processing and then re-imports the processed image back into Aperture (similar to how the Export plug-in for Lightroom works, if you're at all familiar with that one). However, this would take quite a lot of engineering time, so the plug-in would not be ready for a while. And, all those efforts would be made useless if Apple fixes the bug in the meantime.

We are absolutely interested in finding any solutions to this issue though; this is affecting many users and we want to be able to do whatever we can to help. I know you must be tired of trying workarounds (especially since so far they seem to have not worked), but if you don't mind giving one more a shot to see how it goes, we have heard from another user that found a systematic workaround that avoided the issue on his end. These are the things he noticed:

If he highlights 3 pictures in the Browser view (the one that shows small icons of all the pictures on one page), that resulted in the unsupported image error. But, if he instead selected 3 pictures and hit Enter to view those 3 pictures in a window, and then invoked the Photomatix plug-in, the error did not occur after processing.

We would really appreciate if you could try that and let us know the outcome for you, as knowing if that workaround clears it up for you may give our engineers a hint about what triggers the bug in Aperture and potentially give them ideas to explore to make the plug-in avoid the Aperture bug. Thank you very much in advance if you choose to do that.

I did try their recommendation, made no difference.

unsupported image format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.