Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard Drive upgrade

I have Imac 27" 2011, I want upgrade my hard drive to SSD 1TB. What model is compatible?

Thanks for ur help.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Nov 29, 2013 10:47 AM

6 replies

Nov 29, 2013 11:28 AM in response to jowbh

All current drives available are backward compatible. But there are some Mac computers that used low quality drive to logic board cables and on those models faster drive do not work correctly until you replace the original cable with an updated/upgraded version.

Whether your iMac is one of those I have no idea. It is not something Apple acknowledges and the only way to tell is after you install a faster drive. If it works the cable is OK. If it doesn't then you will then need to replace the cable.

Instead of getting a REAL SSD, which are very expensive, you should look at the Seagate XT series drives. That series includes Flash storage and standard rotating HDD. They cost 1/4-1/6 the cost of a real SSD and are almost as fast.

Hard Drive upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.