Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change home folder partition (location)

I have two partitions in my MBP. is there a way to tell Mavericks to store my home folder in the other partition not on the startup partition

Posted on Nov 29, 2013 11:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2013 8:31 AM

Open the Users & Groups pane of System Preferences, unlock it, control-click your account, choose Advanced Options, and change the home folder's path. Alternatively, drag your home folder to the second partition, create a symbolic link to it, and put the symbolic link where your home folder currently is.

(93567)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2013 8:31 AM in response to Abdullah Tammour

Open the Users & Groups pane of System Preferences, unlock it, control-click your account, choose Advanced Options, and change the home folder's path. Alternatively, drag your home folder to the second partition, create a symbolic link to it, and put the symbolic link where your home folder currently is.

(93567)

Dec 5, 2013 8:31 AM in response to Abdullah Tammour

Yes, provided you have a Home folder on the drive to connect.

Open Users & Groups preferences, click on the lock icon and enter your admin password when prompted. CTRL- or RIGHT-click on your listed account and select Advanced Options from the context menu.

You wil observe a field labeled "Home directory." Click on the Choose button to the right. An Open dialog will appear in which you need to locate the new Home folder you want to use. Select it, then click on the Open button. You must immediately Restart the computer. Upon restart you should be using the new Home folder.

Change home folder partition (location)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.