Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

With new iPhone 5S can't get Apps to update

I got a new iPhone (5S) and a short time after that I noticed I had apps that needed updating. I thought I had selected automatic updates for apps so I looked, I had. ??? So I went into the App Store, clicked on Update, saw the apps that needed to be updated. I clicked to update and it asked me for my password. Entered it and it said it was incorrect. Entered it again, maybe typo, incorrect again. I then noticed ... UGH! ... that it had my previous email address (from 7 years ago) for my ID. I thought I had gotten rid of this problem. Being required to use an email address for an ID I have come to feel is ridiculous. I had this problem with iTunes after we moved and it took several years before someone at Apple via the Genius Bar seemed to get it fixed.

Well, I went to the Apple Store and they said what I had to do was put in the password I used when I was using the previous email. Ridiculous, I don't keep a running record of passwords. They said I had to re-purchase the apps I had gotten with the old ID. Also ridiculous. Does anyone have any idea how to fix it, how to get rid of that old email address (where is it anyway). I have no trouble with iTunes; I use the so called Apple ID (email address) and PW I established several years ago after we moved with no problem. My iPad updates the apps automatically; since the new system on the iPad it has automatically updated, I don't even remember doing anything, it just without my involvement since the new iOS been updating my apps on the iPad.

How can I get rid of that old email address? I looked at the answers to another question on the Discussion Board but that looked like a different situation from what I have. My iTunes recognizes my Apple ID and PW (I buy music, etc. with no problem), and my iPad updates my apps, how can I get the iPhone to update my apps? How do I get this email address issue resolved?

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Nov 29, 2013 1:51 PM

6 replies

Nov 29, 2013 2:07 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

Yea, I did that. Made it even more confusing. The Apple ID in the iPhone in Settings > iTunes and App Store is the correct one; is the email address I have had since moving to Wisconsin 7 years ago. However, when I go to update an App one of two things happens (it varies): it will pop up a window with my old email address and a text box for me to enter my PW, or it will pop up with my old email address in a text box and a text box below that for my PW. In that case I have changed the email address to the email address I have now and entered my PW; it comes back and says that it is incorrect. This has been a real pain; I now have 18 Apps that need updating. It was real aggravating two days ago when I purchased music and two tv shows on iTunes and then entering the same Apple ID and PW on the iPhone I could not update Apps.

Nov 29, 2013 2:12 PM in response to GWalden

Apps are locked to the Apple ID used to purchase them. If you purchased these apps under the old Apple ID, that is the only one that will work to update them. You cannot merge Apple ID accounts, so it remains separate. You would need to repurchase them as you were told in the original post. Is this what applies to your situation?

With new iPhone 5S can't get Apps to update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.