Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power Mac Pro G5 PROCESSOR 4X2.5 8GB DDR2 SDRAM GREY ERROR SCREEN WONT BOOT

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file
Dearest of friends,
I've recently obtained a Power Pro G5 from a Co worker who had no use for it, Its a quad core so I figured I'd give it a shot. Only to have been struggling from the point of purchase. I was informed this thing has no software installed. I've opened it up so ensure everything is plugged in properly, have removed the ram and even unplugged the keyboard and mouse and the hard drive, to attempt indivudal boot sequences.

I purchased a Macbook 2007 (Black) model which came with default 10.4.8 discs, to try to run at least a diagnotics test.As it begins to read the disc an error message (picture 1) appears. Despite holding C, or Holding D. The Red L.E.D. as shown (picture 2) blinks and then turns off as I press the power button to turn the computer on each time. The fan is loud, and if the computer is on the grey screen is left on the error message long enough only gets louder, as which the led then stays on and if left on long enough result in 2 Leds on.

I'm considerig taking this to the apple store for a diagnostics test, being I would like to purchase a new version of OSX 10.4 to try to fix this issue. But I truly am confused, the fast this computer doesnt have any software preinstalled makes it tough as When i tur the computer on normally I get a screen with the mac logo and a question mark.

I would like to at least have an idea of which direction to go so I can resolve this issue before i make any hardware/software investments.So I can get on with life, being this computer is just sitting in my room uselessly. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated, and I'm super super tech savvy so all walkthroughs would be lovely. Thanks Community!!! This is my first post and I hope it's a good one 🙂

Mac Pro

Posted on Nov 29, 2013 3:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2013 3:59 PM

Hello,

I purchased a Macbook 2007 (Black) model which came with default 10.4.8 discs

Not possible, those Discs are Intel only, won't work on G4s & G5s. Grey Discs are also mostly Machine specific.

You need some kind of SW to boot it, fans running full speed is nomal if no OSX takes ove to control them.

For testing you need ither the original G5's Install Discs to run Apple Hardware Test, or the not available to the public ASD 2.6.3

Not likely will even look at it, it's possible a independent AASP might.

Then you'd need 10.4.6 Retail Install Discs, or 10.5 retail Install Discs.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2013 3:59 PM in response to oOo.KLOUD.oOo

Hello,

I purchased a Macbook 2007 (Black) model which came with default 10.4.8 discs

Not possible, those Discs are Intel only, won't work on G4s & G5s. Grey Discs are also mostly Machine specific.

You need some kind of SW to boot it, fans running full speed is nomal if no OSX takes ove to control them.

For testing you need ither the original G5's Install Discs to run Apple Hardware Test, or the not available to the public ASD 2.6.3

Not likely will even look at it, it's possible a independent AASP might.

Then you'd need 10.4.6 Retail Install Discs, or 10.5 retail Install Discs.

Nov 29, 2013 4:58 PM in response to oOo.KLOUD.oOo

For instance, this one will not work...

This is the retail dvd. That means it will install on ANY Mac with a G3, G4, or G5 ppc processor along with Xcode 2. (256 megs of RAM min)

The dvd is black with the X on it and has this number on it - 2Z691-5305-A

Apple Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger (Full Install) DVD Retail Version

Item #:

MA453Z/A 1005166

Compatible with eMac (2005), iBook G4 (Late 2004), iBook G4 (Mid 2005), iMac G5 17-inch (ALS), iMac G5 20-inch (ALS), iMac G5 (17-inch iSight), iMac G5 (20-inch iSight), iMac (Early 2006 17-inch), iMac (Early 2006 20-inch), Mac mini, Mac mini (Late 2005), Mac mini (Early 2006), MacBook Pro, Power Mac G5 (Early 2005), Power Mac G5 (Late 2005), PowerBook G4 (15-inch Double-Layer SD), PowerBook G4 (17-inch Double-Layer SD).

??? @trevor: Yes, it's a black-faced commercial version (I may have used it to install on my earlier G3 as you point out). It says Version 10.4 2Z691-5305A.

I think you're correct: Tiger came installed. Are you suggesting that there should be another DVD for the G5 and I've simply grabbed the wrong one?

Yes. The 10.4(.nothing) black retail disk will not boot a Power Mac G5 dual-core. That computer was released after that disc, so there's no way that they could have foreknowledge of it in order to put it's boot ROM image on the disc.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think this is the 10.4 version for Dual Core G5s....

2Z691-5811-A is the Install Disk for PPC Macs, G3, G4, and most G5s... 10.4.6

Power Mac Pro G5 PROCESSOR 4X2.5 8GB DDR2 SDRAM GREY ERROR SCREEN WONT BOOT

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.