Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't modify system preferences

By way of background: Yesterday my Time Machine backup failed because the disk was full. When I went into system preferences I could not modify/unlock my Time Machine preferences. I also noticed that I could not update my login preferences or my Internet accounts (there may be more, I have not checked every preference pane). Controls like radio buttons do not work -- they change and then immediately change back; "Advanced" buttons don't work, and I can't unlock the prefpanes.

I've googled around for potential solutions and none of them that I found have worked: permissions repair, keychain repair, etc. I even deleted and recreated my account (preserving my home directory), reinstalled the OS (on top of my existing installasion).

I could nuke my account, reinstall from scratch, but that will take a l-o-n-g time because of all the software I have and how highly customized my environment is.

Anyone seen this problem? Any thoughts on what else to try?

TIA,

Stu

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9), 13" mid-2012, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD,

Posted on Nov 29, 2013 4:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 29, 2013 4:38 PM

Go to Finder> Go to "Go " in the Menu bar at the Top of the screen> Hold the "option" on the keyboard and Library should appear right under the Word "Home"> Go to the Prefrences folder> Move the com.apple.systempreferences.plist to the Desktop> Restart the Computer> Move com.apple.systempreferences.plist to Trash> Empty Trash

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 29, 2013 4:38 PM in response to Stu Farnham

Go to Finder> Go to "Go " in the Menu bar at the Top of the screen> Hold the "option" on the keyboard and Library should appear right under the Word "Home"> Go to the Prefrences folder> Move the com.apple.systempreferences.plist to the Desktop> Restart the Computer> Move com.apple.systempreferences.plist to Trash> Empty Trash

Nov 29, 2013 6:33 PM in response to D Rayburn Willis

"Go to Finder> Go to "Go " in the Menu bar at the Top of the screen> Hold the "option" on the keyboard and Library should appear right under the Word "Home"> Go to the Prefrences folder> Move the com.apple.systempreferences.plist to the Desktop> Restart the Computer> Move com.apple.systempreferences.plist to Trash> Empty Trash"

Thanks for the tip. I tried that and it did not help.

Stu

Nov 29, 2013 6:52 PM in response to Stu Farnham

I wonder if this has any similarity…

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5484035?start=0&tstart=0

There is a fix later in that thread.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5484035?answerId=23730724022#23730724022

Stu Farnham wrote:

I could nuke my account, reinstall from scratch, but that will take a l-o-n-g time because of all the software I have and how highly customized my environment is.

When you it's customized, do you mean you have used Cocktail, Tinkertool or apps like Secrets to modify the 'defaults system'?

These 'tweaks' have a habit of causing weird bugs like this in new OS installations. If you have migrated a few OS versions a lot of these changes get carried over & eventually it all falls apart, a clean install will clear up any system level hacks, moving your user data back is tricky since it may contain modified settings in preferences etc.

Another possibility is that it's a conflict with a third party app. There is a simple test to see if old 3d party software might be the issue. Boot into 'Safe mode' (hold shift after the chime until the spinning 'cog' appears). Ensure the login window says 'safe mode'.

https://support.apple.com/kb/HT1455

It will disable all third party extensions & startup items.

If the Mac works OK in safe mode it is time to get a system report and look at the third party items.

Be aware that some features will be disabled like wifi on some models, graphics drivers will be in a reduced mode - this is normal in safe mode. Don't assume poor graphics are a problem in safe mode.

Reboot to go back to normal.

Use EtreCheck to see what is running in a normal boot & post it here

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

You can also try a new user account (if possible)…

Create a new user account in 'System Preferences > Users & groups', give it the name test. Login as that test user & see if it works better.

YES indicates the problem may be inside your user account

NO indicates the problem may be further up in the system or third party software

Nov 29, 2013 7:23 PM in response to Drew Reece

Thanks, Drew. By customized I just mean that I have a ton of apps and each has been set up to my ummm, exacting preferences...

I already tried setting up a second account and it works without a problem. I just tried your safe boot idea to no avail -- the problem persists under safe boot.

Ugh. I'm dreading have to set everything up from ground zero...

Nov 29, 2013 7:45 PM in response to Stu Farnham

Are you actually unable to unlock the System Preferences? You are using an admin account aren't you?

If the issue is only inside your user account then you know where to start looking. You can disable login items by logging out completely. Login but hold the shift key as you press the login button.

If the issue still exists you can assume the login items are not causing it.

Dec 1, 2013 11:06 AM in response to Stu Farnham

An update on this problem:

I've fone a thorough walkthrough of the pref panes from two accounts: the administrator account with which I am having problems, and a second admin account I created for testing. There may be a pattern here, I have not identified it yet.

All pref panes work correctly from the second account.

The following do not work under my account (everything not mentioned works):

• The Advanced Options button does not work on any prefpane.
  • icloud: buttons (Account Details, Manage) do not work
  • Internet accounts: check boxes and text fields work, button controls do not. Add account screen displays but does not work. Side note: account management from mail preferences works
  • Network: Service selection, enable/disable work. +/-/* do not. Assist me wizard starts.
  • Printers: +/-. O[tions & Supplies button do not work.
  • Security & Privacy:
    • general: can't change password, allow apps radio buttons select but frevert immediately
    • File Vault: On/off does not work
    • Firewall: on/off works, Firewall Options button does not.
    • Privacy: OK
  • Time Machine: on/off works, options button does not
  • Users & groups: Text & check buttons work. +/-/* do not.

Dec 1, 2013 12:04 PM in response to Stu Farnham

Open System Profiler (Search for it in Spotlight).

Scroll down to the Software section, see if you have any entries in the 'Managed client' section (this may not exist). Report if it does.

We can try resetting you 'global preferences' for your user. If it fails to have an effect you can move the file back to redo the settings. It will reset things like save dialogs, favourites, recent items as well as many 'defaults write' tweaks you may have accumulated etc.

To move it to your Desktop enter the next line in Terminal

mv ~/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist ~/Desktop/GlobalPreferences.plist

Logout & see if it changes when you log back in.

This next line will move it back if you need to restore it… (logout again)

mv ~/Desktop/GlobalPreferences.plist ~/Library/Preferences/.GlobalPreferences.plist

Dec 1, 2013 12:46 PM in response to Drew Reece

Hey, Drew,

Thanks for working on this with me, it's baffling...

There are no entries under Managed Client.

moving my global preferences did not effect anything. For grins I also used my other admin account to remove and readd admin privs to my main account, with reboots in between.

One thing I missed when checking the operation of all pref panes: I can't modify my login items.

Stu

can't modify system preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.