Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Various Artists, Complilations totally fubar syncs to ios7 iDevices

Funk Essentials is NOT supposed to show in Downtempo Genre. But because Funk Essentials has various artists it does. So much fail Apple.

Everything is as it should be in my iTunes libray on my macbook. Sync to a iOS7 device and things get all screwed up.

Compliations just further complicate things. Also, if you think removing Various Artists from the Album Name or Artist, it doesn't.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Posted on Nov 29, 2013 4:52 PM

7 replies

Nov 29, 2013 5:21 PM in response to _Scott_

_Scott_ wrote:

Funk Essentials is NOT supposed to show in Downtempo Genre. But because Funk Essentials has various artists it does. So much fail Apple.

How did Apple fail?

They dind't set the genre.

If it was purcahsed from tiTunes store, teh record lable set teh genre.

If it was a CD you ripped, then the info was from Gracenote and the record label set the genre.

Nov 29, 2013 6:33 PM in response to Chris CA

Being you asked, Apple failed in that their new software releases have screwed up music libraries and how they sync to their other devices.

It makes no difference if apple, gracenote or I set the genre. It is now screwed up. For people who like music and have a significant amount of songs, this is an issue. It is not a small issue either. Having to go through thousands of songs, genres, artwork and artists is no small task.

For those that have spent their time going through free samplers, cherry pickings songs from collections for many years and piecing together compilations this is a big deal.

I'm open for suggestions. Please keep in mind that me and those like me that have this or similar issue really don't want to hear how super duper awesome apple is and how they couldn't have possibly made a mistake.

Nov 29, 2013 7:03 PM in response to Chris CA

Yeah I have, here's the story so far

After discovering genre shuffle is gone either by design or mistake I started to just do a quick fix and make big playlists by genre until a more elegant solution could be achieved.

Discovered music was missing on my iDevices, started digging around and found a lot of the missing music was part of a compilation(s). I dissolved a couple of compilations and found that those songs synced over to the iPad that were previously missing and part of the dissolved comps.

Then I discovered the situation described in the first post. Any song that has anything close to various artists in any part of the metadata is handled in a very convoluted way.

If various artists, various or anything like that is even used in the album name such as "2009 Sampler (Various Artists)" not to mention various showing up in the artist or composer the album will show up in every genre that sampler or collection or cross compilation is listed. As an example, one sampler of a record company has 20 songs, each song is a different genre, you classify each song according to its genre. That album now shows up in 20 different genres. The whole album, not just the one song.

Not a big deal for a handful of songs but believe me the problem grows exponentially with each album.

Nov 29, 2013 10:16 PM in response to _Scott_

Then I discovered the situation described in the first post. Any song that has anything close to various artists in any part of the metadata is handled in a very convoluted way.

Artist should be the artist of a specific song.

If the album is a compilation, put Various Artists in the Album Artist field.

If various artists, various or anything like that is even used in the album name such as "2009 Sampler (Various Artists)"

Not a very descriptive title. I don't recall seeing Various Artists as part of any album title.

Compliations just further complicate things. Also, if you think removing Various Artists from the Album Name or Artist, it doesn't

So don't put Various Artists in the Album or Artist field. Use teh Album Artist filed.

Nov 30, 2013 7:47 AM in response to Chris CA

Dude,

Stop, seriously. Thanks but no thanks. You just don't get it. Sorry for not being clear but you obviously don't get that there are thousands of albums and collections sold worldwide that have thousands of different ways of describing or otherwise categorizing music and artists creating said music. I'm not the listing various artists or whatever on these, it is the way they are. Just look at apples own music store, you will see what I'm talking about.

Various Artists, Complilations totally fubar syncs to ios7 iDevices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.