Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro loses wifi connectivity

Nedd the solution to a progressive, degenerative internet connectivity issue. MacBook Pro OSX 10.6.8, began loosing internect connectivity after a few minutes of operation at various locations around town. Problem has gradually become worse with attendant frustration, especially when the guy next to me has a Dell 630 and he's surfing away. Today I ran speedtest on it home. 13.8 up and 13.6 down. A new MacBook ran 56 down 38 up on the same router and location.

While searching for a solution the MacBook pro stopped connecting. I trashed the prefs and dumped the keychain network passwords. Even if I sit on my router it refuses to connect. Appreciate any and all solution ideas that don't involve buying support for this 5 year old device.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 17"

Posted on Nov 29, 2013 6:31 PM

12 replies

Nov 29, 2013 6:51 PM in response to lite1x

Bad enough to have the problem, but this site won't let me edit my post. Nedd= Need. loosing=losing. And upon additional searching, I have found that a working ethernet cable makes no difference. The Mac has stopped seeing the router. Router's fine, works with other Macs and PCs, wired and wireless. Need more ideas.

Nov 30, 2013 11:27 AM in response to lite1x

This sounds like a hardware problem to me. Not sure this is something that can be easily handled on these ocmmunities. If you have some experience, you might download your owners manual, find out if wifi is on the MB or a card, and if a card, check things like the wiring and connector ( happened to me on an old PBG4).

You coudl also have a plain, old failure.

Do you show a good signal strength? use some freebie app like macstmbler or istmbler and look at measured signal strength.

Grant

Nov 30, 2013 2:29 PM in response to lite1x

Try the basics first:

Change your router channel number. Most times this works & is all you have to do.

Disconnect & reconnect your modem. unplug it for about 10 seconds. Plug it back in. Do the same for Apple’s routers. Wait for everything to reboot.

System Preferences>Network

Click the Assist Me button.

In the next window that pops up, click the Diagnostic button & do the necessary.

Research Knowledge Base for network problems that pertain to the OS that is currently installed on your computer. See these basic networking KB Articles: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1401 AirPort troubleshooting guide

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4628
Wi-Fi: How to troubleshoot Wi-Fi connectivity

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2712 Using network locations in Mac OS X

Manually provided DNS server addresses are higher priority than DHCP's

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1714 Solutions for connecting to the Internet, setting up a small network, and troubleshooting

============================

What to do when you can't connect to the Internet

Also, run the Airport Utility app which is located inside the Utilities folder.

=====================

If using a Linksys router, contact LinkSys Customer Support and/or post in their forums.

If using Apple's Airport, please re-post over in one of the AirPort Forums.

User uploaded file

Nov 30, 2013 7:21 PM in response to Grant Lenahan

Signal strength is 1/3 or less of a newer MacBook Pro right next to it, sometimes. Other times it's fine, or it's non-existant. Am going to troubleshoot as a hardware issue this week just to be sure. It is totally random in occurrences, but they are more frequent than used to be.

I moved the items I need to keep off the unit, and my wipe/reload, also. It's about time.

Thanks for ideas, keep 'em coming.

Dec 7, 2013 12:36 PM in response to Grant Lenahan

Grant Lenahan wrote:

Agree. That was my point ( also clarifying that BabyBoomer meant the frequency channel)

If the channels you see on your router are called frequency, then yes the frequency channels. Some routers have over a hundred. Some just have a few 1-20. Depends on if you live in the boondocks or a metropolitan area. I have over 110 channels as I live in a metropolitan area. I pick the ones that no one uses or maybe 1 or 2 are in use. I stay away from the common channels 1, 6 & 11.

Here's a tip I got from someone on these boards (sorry I forget who): Go the airport icon in the menubar>option key - scroll to all the names on the list. You will see the channels everyone is using/on. 😉

User uploaded file

Dec 7, 2013 1:54 PM in response to Baby-Boomer-USofA

In th4 frequncy band used by 802.11 G/N ( and B) there are 11 channels.

It has nothign to do with the router- these are standardized frequency allocations in teh 802.11.x spec and allocated by the FCC.

The key is to keep the closest ones as far apart as possible.

Power decreases with the square of distance, so a transmitter 200 feet away and going through 2+ walls is not significant.

Grant

MacBook Pro loses wifi connectivity

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.