Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HELP! corrupted EFI ROM

having problems with my macbook pro that i bought in Aug 2010. on monday i had put it to sleep, went to use it again and it wouldn't start up. instead when i tried to turn it on, it would beep and there was 5 seconds between each beep (normally meaning theres a problem with the RAM). brought it to apple on the wednesday, they got it to turn on and transferred all my data onto an external hard drive, ran tests for hardware and software issues.. found a problem with the software and wiped the laptop. today (friday), my macbook was asleep again after i had used it all day, went to open it and it was off. i tried to turn it on and it had three fast beeps, three slow beeps and three more fast beeps. i looked it up and apparently this means that the EFI ROM is corrupted.

i don't know anything about computers or how to fix this or what this means, if someone could help that would be greatly appreciated.. I did see read this..

"Should you need to restore the EFi ROM on certail Mac computers produced before 2008, you'll need to use a recovery CD to restore the EFI ROM. Newer computers automatically recover from a corrupted ROM; when this occurs a progress bar appears on a grey background. Do not disturb the machine while the ROM recovery is taking place. It will restart back into OS X when it restarts."

but i have no idea what that means. do i just leave my laptop and it will fix itself? bring it into apple again?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Nov 29, 2013 7:38 PM

1 reply

HELP! corrupted EFI ROM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.