Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Keep Your iOS App Running in Background Forever?

Hello Friends,

I am fetching one big issue regarding keep app live in background forever.

Can anybody help to resolve my below issue.

Issue:

I am developing one chat application in ios. I have to call one web service of server to send notification that user is live in app in every 3 min. But if I press home button then my app is going to background mode and then my service not calling in every 3 min. So, How can I call it in every 3 min if my app is in background.

Thank you very much in advance...

Best Regards,

Chetan

Posted on Nov 29, 2013 10:23 PM

1 reply

Nov 30, 2013 4:12 PM in response to Chetan Bhalara

An app running in the background has limited capability. Read App States and Multitasking thoroughly to decide how best to design your app. Chat is not listed as one of the specific exceptions that can operate with a more relaxed policy. You will never be able to "keep [your] app live in background forever." You might be able to leverage an iOS 7 feature also described in this guide, Fetching Small Amounts of Content Regularly.

iOS App Programming Guide: App States and Multitasking

https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/documentation/iPhone/Conceptual/iPhoneOS ProgrammingGuide/ManagingYourApplicationsFlow/ManagingYourApplicationsFlow.html

How to Keep Your iOS App Running in Background Forever?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.