Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 5 is stuck in recovery mode and won't restore. Please help me!

My iPhone is stuck in recovery mode since I tried a restore Before that it kept powering on and powering off eratically and lingered on the white apple screen. I thought an install would help. Retore attempts always fail, I get the message "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occured (9)." Please help me!

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Nov 30, 2013 5:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2013 5:44 AM

This error occurs when the device unexpectedly loses its USB connection with iTunes. This can occur if you manually disconnect the device during the restore process. You can resolve this issue by using USB troubleshooting, using a different Dock Connector or Lightning Connector to USB cable, trying another USB port, restoring on another computer, or by eliminating conflicts from third-party security software.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2013 5:44 AM in response to genericusername133

This error occurs when the device unexpectedly loses its USB connection with iTunes. This can occur if you manually disconnect the device during the restore process. You can resolve this issue by using USB troubleshooting, using a different Dock Connector or Lightning Connector to USB cable, trying another USB port, restoring on another computer, or by eliminating conflicts from third-party security software.

Nov 30, 2013 7:24 AM in response to ckuan

Hi, thanks for your advice. I'm desperately trying to source a different cable with great difficulty... the funny thing is though I managed to restore once, because the original problem was that the phone was powering off and on erratically and lingering on the white apple logo... I thought a restore would solve the problem... when I restored succesfully I had to update to ios 7... the problem persisted... I thought perhaps that the phone had to be restored to factory settings, the previous restore was restored to a back up on my computer. Is the problem of powering off and stuck on apple logo something a restore can fix? Would it make any difference if the restore was to a back up or to factory settings? Also the restore cuts out and fails when the restore is at the stage of 'verifying with apple'. Is there any reason apple wouldn't 'authorise' a restore?

Nov 30, 2013 6:02 PM in response to genericusername133

Would it make any difference if the restore was to a back up or to factory settings?

Yes, if your backup is somehow corrupted, restoring to that backup will put the problem back to the iPhone.

Restore as new and manually put back your content is the preferred method.

Also the restore cuts out and fails when the restore is at the stage of 'verifying with apple'. Is there any reason apple wouldn't 'authorise' a restore?

When restoring, the IOS will be verified with Apple server.

Are you using PC? If so, disable anti-virus and firewall then try again.

Dec 1, 2013 8:20 PM in response to ckuan

Hi Ckuan,
Thanks for your help.

My computer is a macbook pro. I went to an Apple authorised retailer (AAR) and tried on several of their computers with many different cables, all returned the same result (2001 or 9 error). The opinion of the AAR was that the logic board was damaged. I've just paid to have it replaced, not sure if this was the best course of action. Any thoughts?

My iPhone 5 is stuck in recovery mode and won't restore. Please help me!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.