Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i have the latest version of iMovie. how do I burn homemade movies to DVDs?

How doI burn homemade movies from Imovies to a DVD?

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 30, 2013 6:19 AM

10 replies

Nov 30, 2013 11:17 AM in response to opuscat

If you need a step-by-step:

1. Create a project in iMovie 10.0.1

2. Go to File>Share>File... and for Size choose Large 540P (960 x 540) and click Next

3. Choose a location on the hard drive to save the file to.

4. Wait for the blue circle activity indicator to finish.

5. In Finder, verify that iMovie created an MP4 file in the location specified in step 3.

6. Open iDVD and click "Create New Project."

7. Give the project a name and save it to your hard drive.

8. Drag the file you created earlier from the Finder into your iDVD project window.

(or go to File>Import>Video... and choose your video there)

9. Make any adjustments to drop zones, etc.

10. Click the burn button.

11. Insert a DVD and let it do its thing.

This procedure produces a working DVD for me.

OS X 10.9 Mavericks

iMovie 10.0.1

iDVD 7.1.2

Mar 27, 2014 12:12 PM in response to jupiejupie

naive question but you are taking for granted users have IDVD installed on their computer. I've been reading new macs dont have this software. i am now stuck with a video on my mac I can not share with friends.Does anyone know how to burn an imovie to a dvd if you don't have IDVD on your computer. I am trying to burn a copy of a destination wedding video over 1.5 hours long. i want to give a copy to the couple. I do not want to upload to youtube. i'd be satisfied with saving it to a usb as well. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Mar 27, 2014 2:15 PM in response to chrismic100

chrismic100 wrote:

naive question but you are taking for granted users have IDVD installed on their computer. I've been reading new macs dont have this software. i am now stuck with a video on my mac I can not share with friends.Does anyone know how to burn an imovie to a dvd if you don't have IDVD on your computer. I am trying to burn a copy of a destination wedding video over 1.5 hours long. i want to give a copy to the couple. I do not want to upload to youtube. i'd be satisfied with saving it to a usb as well. Any suggestions? Thank you!

What resolution is the video? If it's HD, iDVD isn't going to do the couple any favors.

But even if it's SD, the couple is going to eventually want it as a digital file (IMHO, DVD is fine for the short term, but it's a dead technology in the long term).

Another option is to burn the video to a DVD in the Finder simply as a file. Maybe even burn two versions: a standard definition video that will play in a DVD player, and an HD version that will work on a computer or Bluray player. If you were giving me the video, that is what I would prefer because then I could just drag and drop the HD file to my iMac instead of having to use ripping software.

Or, like you mentioned, use a thumb drive. They're as cheap as $5 now, so they do work pretty good.

Good luck!

Mar 27, 2014 2:38 PM in response to mtngoatjoe@mac.com

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.You are right a dvd will only go so far. I am a bit embarassed to admit I don't even know how to "burn the DVD in the Finder as a file". Are you saying I the mac has an internal burner? I just got the mac and this is my first imovie project. I tried to add it to my USB today and when I tried it on my bluray player it woudn't open. 😟

the video is HD. the couple don't have a mac either.

Thanks again for the help.

C

Mar 27, 2014 3:50 PM in response to chrismic100

chrismic100 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.You are right a dvd will only go so far. I am a bit embarassed to admit I don't even know how to "burn the DVD in the Finder as a file". Are you saying I the mac has an internal burner? I just got the mac and this is my first imovie project. I tried to add it to my USB today and when I tried it on my bluray player it woudn't open. 😟

the video is HD. the couple don't have a mac either.

Thanks again for the help.

C

Burning a DVD from the Finder is pretty easy. But you'll probably understand better if you go to youtube.com and search for, "how do I burn a dvd on a mac".

Of course, that assumes your Mac has a DVD burner. Depending on what model you have, you may not have one.

If you don't have a burner, then I'd use a USB stick.

The movie that iMovie exports will be watchable on any computer. Your wedding couple doesn't need a Mac.

Jul 5, 2014 7:43 AM in response to opuscat

Buy iDVD.

Yes, there are other programs that will put a movie on a DVD. I have tried most of the other substitutes. None of them come anywhere near the ease-of-use and power of iDVD. IDVD is specifically designed to work with iMovie.

With iDVD you can easily and quickly create DVDs with menus and graphics almost on the level of what Hollywood can do.

IDVD is easy to get. It is available on disk as part of iLife 11.

IDVD is a wonderful piece of software and well worth the low cost of $40. (works with all Mac OS 10.5 and newer.)

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MC623Z-A-iLife-VERSION/dp/B003XKRZES/ref=sr_1_1?ie=U

i have the latest version of iMovie. how do I burn homemade movies to DVDs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.