Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can you put your iTunes data on your airport and then have your computers with the same apple id sync to this music/ and play list / podcast / movies / iTunes u?

I have a laptop and desktop can I sync my itunes to a master libary on a nas or my airport extream? this would be similar to syncing my devices to my imac (iPad, iPhonce, ect.)

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 30, 2013 7:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 4:18 AM

two answers as I am unshour to what you want to do:

Setup homeshareing or:

1) QUIT not just Close iTunes if it open

1) Make a folder on the shared disk

2) Move the "Users/username/Music/iTunes folder you want to share with all the devices to the folder on the shared disk

3) Make that folder accessable by all the users you want to access it.

4) Hold the "Option/alt" key down and click iTunes and it will ask if you want to "Choose a Library"

5) click "Choose a Library" and choose the one on the shared disk

6) Do this on evey meachine you want to have access to this library

8) REMBER THAT IF YOUR NOT CONNECTED TO YOUR SHARED DISK THEN YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS YOUR LIBRARY but you can choose librays at any time by using step 4 and you can have as meany librarys as you like.

I hope this answers your question

Sorry for any bad spellings I am dyslex......

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2013 4:18 AM in response to matthewfromtn

two answers as I am unshour to what you want to do:

Setup homeshareing or:

1) QUIT not just Close iTunes if it open

1) Make a folder on the shared disk

2) Move the "Users/username/Music/iTunes folder you want to share with all the devices to the folder on the shared disk

3) Make that folder accessable by all the users you want to access it.

4) Hold the "Option/alt" key down and click iTunes and it will ask if you want to "Choose a Library"

5) click "Choose a Library" and choose the one on the shared disk

6) Do this on evey meachine you want to have access to this library

8) REMBER THAT IF YOUR NOT CONNECTED TO YOUR SHARED DISK THEN YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS YOUR LIBRARY but you can choose librays at any time by using step 4 and you can have as meany librarys as you like.

I hope this answers your question

Sorry for any bad spellings I am dyslex......

Dec 2, 2013 7:40 PM in response to matthewfromtn

May be this is not something (I have tryed it). If the shared folder and files can but accesseed but all the users that you wont iTunes to work then I don't see why not. It may be that both computers can only use the same library one at a time or may be thay can use them simutansley let us know us know how it go's.

Like with lots of things with computers "Give it a go"

Just rember your not "sync"ing librarys with each other your using the same library so there can be problems if two iTunes try and use the library at the same time think about this what would happen if iTunes on computer (a) was playing a track and iTunes on computer (b) deleteed or renamed the track. This is the sort of problems network admin's are faceed with all the time.

can you put your iTunes data on your airport and then have your computers with the same apple id sync to this music/ and play list / podcast / movies / iTunes u?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.