Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to split Aperture library to have a part on an external disc

I found that my Aperture library occupies over 200 GB and for actual use I need hardly half or less. I have many folders and many projects within them. What would be the easiest way to transfer a bigger part of it to an external disc and to see the photos when the external disc is connected ? Or any other idea ?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 30, 2013 10:23 AM

4 replies

Nov 30, 2013 10:37 AM in response to savita88

A referenced library might help. You could relocate the original image files for the older projects to an external drive and keep only the originals for the projects that you need to access frequently on your system drive. If you render previews of your images, you will still be able to browse and tag all images, only to be able to edit the referenced images you will need to connect the external drive.

To relocate originals to an external drive select them in the Browser and use the command "File > Relocate original files".

See this page in the manual: Aperture 3 User Manual: Working with Referenced Images

-- Léonie

Dec 25, 2013 2:37 AM in response to léonie

Thank you, I tried - the problem is - I relocate the files on external HDD, the process is done but all the photos still remain in the Aperture library and its size is not reduced - shall I erase them and what shall I do ? (even when I disconnect the external HDD, I can still open all the relocated photos in the computer)

The descriptions look quite complicated. My intention is simple to select multiple photos in various folders and to move them to another HDD, to be able to open them when that HDD is connected and to remove them from the Aperture library on my computer that already occupies 250 GB

Dec 25, 2013 8:50 AM in response to savita88

OK, so in the end I found that I can see thumbnails and even big (incl. full screen) previews of the photos, even if the disc is disconnected (a bit miraculous it is), but the versions and originals are not available. By that I reduced the library size on the macbook pro by 150 GB which is great .. The only thing is that during that relocating process the computer has frozen about 3 times

Dec 25, 2013 9:56 AM in response to savita88

OK, so in the end I found that I can see thumbnails and even big (incl. full screen) previews of the photos, even if the disc is disconnected (a bit miraculous it is),

When you relocate the originals to an external volume, Aperture will still keep the thumbnails and any previews you have in the aperture library. The thumbnails will enable you to browse the Aperture library and to tag and rate the images, even when the drive with the originals is offline. Only you cannot edit the images or export them. If you have good quality previews, you still can see the images in the Media Browser and use them in other applications like Mail, Pages, etc.

Merry Christmas!

Léonie

How to split Aperture library to have a part on an external disc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.