Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

createinstallmedia wouldn't run (Mavericks), sudo or not.

Followed the instructions to make a bootable USB disk (I want a fresh install), tried to run it with sudo and just with administrator, both would read the man page, but neither would run the app. Hints appreciated.

Posted on Nov 30, 2013 9:55 AM

8 replies

Dec 2, 2013 2:18 AM in response to Timothy Sassoon

Not sure what command line you used, but assuming you have the 'Install OS X Mavericks' application in the Applications folder and have formatted a USB stick as a single GUID partition used the default name of 'Untitled', this is the exact command line to use:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/Untitled --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Mavericks.app --nointeraction

Once it's finished, you can choose this after holding down the Alt key at startup

Dec 10, 2013 3:04 PM in response to AbsoluteComputers

Hi there,

I have tried this command, but I got the below error message.

sudo: unable to execute /Applications/Install OS X Mavericks.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia: Malformed Mach-o file

Do you have any ideas on this? Thanks.

I bought this Macbook Pro 15'' Retina 2 week ago which comes with OS X Mavericks pre-installed. I can't download Install OS X Mavericks.app from MAC App Store. Therefore, I download this file from some another website. Not sure that matters.

Dec 11, 2013 1:40 AM in response to lucasgoldsmith

That sounds like a corrupt image, NEVER download an Apple application from a non Apple site, you run a real risk of a virus attack.

You say you can't download from the App store, I take it you've logged onto the AppStore with your Apple id etc. and can see and dowload any other free Apps as a test?

As you already have Mavericks installed, you can boot off the emergency partition and check your Hard disk for errors before going too much further.

Apr 15, 2014 8:28 PM in response to lucasgoldsmith

You can indeed download Mavericks on a Mac that has Mavericks already on it.

In the Mac app store, search Mavericks. Its a free application. Sign in using your Apple id. It will show up in your purchases section at the top.

You will have the option to download it.

At the very most it will give you a message saying

" OS X v10.9.2 is already installed on this computer. Use the Updates page to install the 10.9 update or if you would like to download the full OS X installer click Continue "

Just continue.

createinstallmedia wouldn't run (Mavericks), sudo or not.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.