Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What should I do about my internal and external speakers not working?

My iPod touch 5g speakers have been muffled and the external speaker doesn't even work, can I get this fixed at Best Buy? Im not sure that my iPod is on warranty but I bought it last year on November 25 and activated it on Christmas.

iPod touch (5th generation), iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Nov 30, 2013 10:49 AM

2 replies

Nov 30, 2013 10:51 AM in response to Aaronf2121

first is the mute switch on?

second blow headphone hole out with compressed air

then

Press and hold BOTH the Sleep/Wake button & the Home button until you see the Apple logo on the screen.

if no result

reset all settings

settings-general-reset-reset all settings

now reconnect to wifi

settings- wifi- click network name- enter password - join

if issue persists back up and restore as new via iTunes

Peace, Clyde

Nov 30, 2013 11:08 AM in response to Clyde77

There is no mute switch on an iPod.

The standard warranty is one year after purchase, not activation. Enter the iPod's SN here to check coverage:

Apple - Support - Check Your Service and Support Coverage

Have you verified that the headphones are not at fault? If yo confirmed the problem is not due to the headohones:

- Try cleaning out/blowing out the headphone jack. Try inserting/removing the plug a dozen times or so. There is a little switch in the headphone jack that disconnects the speaker when the headphone jack is inserted.

Try the following to rule out a software problem

- Reset the iPod. Nothing will be lost

Reset iPod touch: Hold down the On/Off button and the Home button at the same time for at

least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

- Reset all settings

Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset All Settings.

All your preferences and settings are reset. Information (such as contacts and calendars) and media (such as songs and videos) aren’t affected.

- Restore from backup

- Restore to factory settings/new iPod.

- Make an appointment at the Genius Bar of an Apple store. Seems you have a bad headphone jack or other hardware problem.

Apple Retail Store - Genius Bar

If not under warranty Apple will exchange your iPod for a refurbished one for this price. They do not fix yours.

Apple - iPod Repair price

A third-party place like the following will replace the jack for less. Google for more.

iPhone Repair, Service & Parts: iPod Touch, iPad, MacBook Pro Screens

Replace the jack yourself

iPod Touch Repair – iFixit

What should I do about my internal and external speakers not working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.