Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help reinstalling osx mavericks to replaced hard drive

I have a mid 2010 13inch Mac book pro.... My hard drive fried so I replaced it with a 750 gb hard drive. Now I have a problem... After booting up mac and running it in recovery mode, i verified my hard drive and all but now I have a big problem... Using Internet recoverey to reinstall Mac os. When I click to run the installation for the Mac os download it tells me I have to wait for them to verify my computer it stops and tells me that error occurred and to restart application and try again... So after another reboot it still tells me the same thing.... How do I fix this? I have no DVD of the system files to boot from so this is my only option.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 30, 2013 10:57 AM

7 replies

Nov 30, 2013 11:01 AM in response to Kshook5642

After installing the new drive you should follow this outline. Be sure you have an active network connection, and be sure to use an Ethernet connection.

Install Mavericks, Lion/Mountain Lion on a New HDD/SDD

Be sure you backup your files to an external drive or second internal drive because the following procedure will remove everything from the hard drive.

Boot to the Internet Recovery HD:

Restart the computer and after the chime press and hold down the COMMAND-OPTION- R keys until a globe appears on the screen. Wait patiently - 15-20 minutes - until the Recovery main menu appears.

Partition and Format the hard drive:

1. Select Disk Utility from the main menu and click on the Continue button.

2. After DU loads select your external hard drive (this is the entry with the mfgr.'s ID and size) from the left side list. Click on the Partition tab in the DU main window.

3. Under the Volume Scheme heading set the number of partitions from the drop down menu to one. Click on the Options button, set the partition scheme to GUID then click on the OK button. Set the format type to Mac OS Extended (Journaled.) Click on the Partition button and wait until the process has completed. Quit DU and return to the main menu.

Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion. Mavericks: Select Reinstall Lion/Mountain Lion, Mavericks and click on the Install button. Be sure to select the correct drive to use if you have more than one.

Note: You will need an active Internet connection. I suggest using Ethernet if possible because it is three times faster than wireless.

Nov 30, 2013 11:08 AM in response to Kshook5642

You will need the original reinstall DVD discs that came with your system or a replacement set odered from Apple.

If you have a Time Machine backup from when Lion, Mt Lion or Mavericks was installed on your Mac you might be able to boot from that backup drive and either restore that backups or use the Mac OS X Utilities option to Reinstall Mac OS X. to do that you will need the Apple ID and password you used to buy Lion or Mt Lion or that you used when you downloaded the Free Mavericks.

Nov 30, 2013 11:14 AM in response to LowLuster

Only if the computer is unable to use Internet Recovery. The OP's model is able to use Internet Recovery. An EFI firmware upgrade may be required:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010)MacBookPro7,1

MBP71.0039.B0E (EFI 2.5)

1.62f7 (SMC 1.6)
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010)MacBookPro6,2MBP61.0057.B0F (EFI 2.6)1.58f17 (SMC 1.7)
MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2010)MacBookPro6,1MBP61.0057.B0F (EFI 2.6)1.57f18 (SMC 1.7)

Nov 30, 2013 11:24 AM in response to Kshook5642

Frankly, I don't think you can, but I'm not sure.

If you can't, then you are stuck doing what LowLuster posted: you need to install Snow Leopard on the computer. However, you cannot use the retail Snow Leopard DVD. You will need to use the original disc that came with the computer. If you don't have it, then you can purchase replacements from Apple:

Apple Store Customer Service at 1-800-676-2775 or visit online Help for more information.

To contact product and tech support: Apple - Support - Contact Apple Support.

Nov 30, 2013 11:53 AM in response to Kappy

Kappy I said if the time machine backup was made when Lion, Mt Lion or Mavericks was installed it HAS a version, Copy, of the Recovery HD.

That is Not the Online Internet Recovery system. That is a Copy/version of the Recovery HD partition installed when installing one of the download only version of OS X.

No Mac that did not come from the factory with either Lion, Mt Lion or Mavericks Preinstalled can use the Online Internet recovery system to reinstall any version of OS X. The Online Internet system does not have the ability to authenticate an Appe ID for proof of purchase. It was solely designed to be used by systems that came Preinstalled with one of those downloaed only version of OS X.

Yes some 2010 model Macs that have had a firmware upgrade can connect to and use the Online Internet Recovery system but only to restore from a TM backup, or get help from the Internet, or to use Disk utility. If you select Reinstall Mac OS X it will fail as that system has no way to authenticate an Apple ID which is needed to download any of the versions OS X that are download only versions on a Mac that didn't come with one of them Pre-Installed.

Kappy wrote:

Only if the computer is unable to use Internet Recovery. The OP's model is able to use Internet Recovery. An EFI firmware upgrade may be required:

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2010) MacBookPro7,1

MBP71.0039.B0E (EFI 2.5)

1.62f7 (SMC 1.6)
MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) MacBookPro6,2 MBP61.0057.B0F (EFI 2.6) 1.58f17 (SMC 1.7)
MacBook Pro (17-inch, Mid 2010) MacBookPro6,1 MBP61.0057.B0F (EFI 2.6) 1.57f18 (SMC 1.7)

Nov 30, 2013 11:56 AM in response to Kshook5642

you can't use the online system to reinstall any of the download only version of OS X. You can use the Recovery HD section from a Time Machine backup you made if that backup was made when you have any of the Dwonload only versions of OS X installed, Lion Mt Lion or Mavericks.

But if you never made a new Backup when any of those version were installed you will need the Original system reinstall discs that came with your mac when it was new. If you don't have them a Replacement set can be ordered from Apple. You need those disk.

Kshook5642 wrote:

I am running Internet recovery right now... Just waiting for it to load up... Now if I need a firmware update how could I go about doing that from the Internet recover option... I really do not want to order new disc from apple

Help reinstalling osx mavericks to replaced hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.