Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Questions on upgrading Mini Core Duo 1.66 hard drive

The original drive is starting to click and stutter after long durations of usage and I plan to replace it with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-2-5-Inch-500GB-Cache-MQ01ABD050/dp/B00BHSXDSA/ref= sr_1_10?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1385840164&sr=1-10&keywords=2.5-Inch+500GB+sat a

1 - This will work, yes? Is there any difference in dependability between this, Hitachi, WD or Seagate?

2 - The Mini is bootcamped, there is a small Windows XP partition. I don't need it. When I clone and copy the clone to the new drive, I just clone the OS X partition and restore it, that's it, right? Just ignore Windows.

3 - The OS X partition is 50gb. If it's only using 25gb, I should be able to clone the HD to a 32gb usb flash drive?

Posted on Nov 30, 2013 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2013 4:32 PM

Hello,

1. I'm no longer sure of which is best & if that for certain works, here's a list of ones that will...

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades.cfm?sort=pop&model=244&type=Internal+Dr ive

2. Yes.

3. Yes, if not a block by block clone.

4 replies

Nov 30, 2013 6:06 PM in response to nevets88

While a clone to a USB flash drive may be successful (or not) as a boot volume, as that could be helpful in other ways, it probably would have to be a bit larger in capacity than the slim margin you suggest to try & use it.

Since OS X requires free drive space (and reliable speed for response) in order to use the built-in virtual memory for temp swap files, etc, the System would likely balk at only a few GB flex space in a flash drive.

If you find and use a 'flash drive USB' to satisfaction, you may seek to find information on what (if any) of the brands available offer a wear-leveling software that runs in the chip. In any event, I would not expect a usb flash drive to have great longetivity; as a boot drive, its life may vary. An externally enclosed HDD or SSD - with its own power supply - is a better option for a boot-capable clone and reliable system backup, since you could also perform major system maintenance from a second system or clone on an external drive that does not rely on port power.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Questions on upgrading Mini Core Duo 1.66 hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.