Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iBook G4 problem

Hey guys, I have a iBook G4 that had a dead hard drive in it, now see how I said "had", the old hard drive gave me a "?" symbol and wouldnt install on Linux or Mac because there was no primary drive in place, the old drive gave me a ticking noise when it booted up, so it was obvisously dead. I found a old Samsung hard drive that would work in my iBook, I slapped it in the iBook and got a black screen with fans at max, I thought it was dead forever, my iBook, I then thought it only worked with Hard Drives made by Apple, so I then put the original dead hard drive in it, I got a chime and the "?" symbol and thought I'd have to buy a hard drive by Apple, I then called it a day and stopped working on it. The next day I just wanted to be sure it worked with the Apple hard drive in it and press the power button, I got a weird noise from the hard drive like a screech, but not very loud, puzzled I pressed it again, and again, and noticed it wouldnt give me anything else but that noise, It wouldnt accept any discs, no response from the screen, I then did some Googleing and found that I didnt format my old Samsung, ( Which was from a USB HDD) and had to Partition it as a Apple Partition Table and I had done it, I just installed the Samsung HDD in my iBook and then just hit the power button and had gotten the same response from the old hard drive, just a screech noise and no response, ( With both hard drives both had a change in the power adapter ), so Im at a dead end, and have no idea what to do. I know the Samsung Drive isnt dead as I used it 3 days ago. So what can I do to fix it?

Thanks, -JP

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.5), iBook G4 6,7

Posted on Nov 30, 2013 2:47 PM

4 replies

Dec 12, 2013 4:05 PM in response to jpsulisz

User uploaded file

For anyone who was curious while reading this thread I've gone upon myself to buy the DC-Inboard instead of the adapter because the adapter worked fine before I installed the HD (The HD wasn't the problem) into it and replaced the DC-Inboard with success, Leopard is coming in and can't wait to install it, fixing this iBook took a while and was very fun! I may buy a old 12inch G4 that needs some TLC. Cheers -JP

iBook G4 problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.