Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garageband Software problem - Moving files from iPad to iMac

Hello! I am trying to open a song from my ipad mini to my brand new iMac, Garageband 11. I did successfully transfer about 10 songs. Then, working on one of those 10 songs, I was told to update my version of Garageband 11. It downloaded about 1.3 GB of new information. Since then, I cannot open any new Garageband files from the Ipad. When I try to open now, the computer is making me save it as... and I keep getting an error message that the garageband needs to be updated to open that file. But whenever I check, there are no updates that need to be downloaded. I moved them over though itunes. I wonder if I need to uninstall and reinstall Garageband. The only reason I bought the iMac is so I can run Garageband, so this is a pretty frustrating situation. Thanks for the help!

GarageBand (Mac) '11

Posted on Nov 30, 2013 3:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2013 3:22 PM

What is the GarageBand version on the iPad? If it is GarageBand 2.0, you will need to upgrade from GargeBand '11 to GarageBand 10.0.

GaregBand 10.0 is a brand new GarageBand version, very different from your GarageBand '11. Keep GarageBand '11, when you upgrade. You can use the old and the new version in parallel.

To upgrade to GarageBand 10.0, open the "Featured" tab of the AppStore (not the Updates tab) and sign in with your Apple ID. Then search for GarageBand. You should see GararageBand there listed as a free purchase. Buy it and download it.

-- Léonie

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 30, 2013 3:22 PM in response to Phillesliefromus

What is the GarageBand version on the iPad? If it is GarageBand 2.0, you will need to upgrade from GargeBand '11 to GarageBand 10.0.

GaregBand 10.0 is a brand new GarageBand version, very different from your GarageBand '11. Keep GarageBand '11, when you upgrade. You can use the old and the new version in parallel.

To upgrade to GarageBand 10.0, open the "Featured" tab of the AppStore (not the Updates tab) and sign in with your Apple ID. Then search for GarageBand. You should see GararageBand there listed as a free purchase. Buy it and download it.

-- Léonie

Garageband Software problem - Moving files from iPad to iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.