Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine icon not spinning

I am using MBP 15 retina on 10.9. I started Time Machine with external WD HDD. The backup is running but lately I noticed the icon is not spinning when backup is in progress.

I tried turning the showing icon off / on, also tried turning TM off / on, restart MBP but problem not solved.

Anymore suugestion I can try or is this a bug in 10.9?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 30, 2013 5:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2013 5:16 PM

Does not spin in 10.9 in the menu bar

Saving both processing power and battery.

18 replies

Dec 1, 2013 3:29 PM in response to jameshoty

The subtle difference about the Time Machine icons when the backup begins and when it is idling is the little extra "traiangle" appear when the backup is in progress. Now I know whether time machine is in progress by just looking at this icon (with little triangle) and do not need to visit the system preference. Apple is still very user friendly, just that you need to discover it 😎

User uploaded file

icon when backup is in progress

User uploaded file

icon when backup is idling

Apr 27, 2014 3:44 PM in response to leroydouglas

I can't understand the logic for making a still icon, it is easy to miss.

It is small details that make me love my mac. It should have been made an optional choice to choose animated or still icons for system tasks in the preferences/display. It preserve battery? Don't make me laugh. Most of us already use time machine connected to a plug...

And also what about other energy saver changes on mavericks? My mac mini mid 2010 works wonderfully with 10.7.4, but very slow wih 10.9. Also fan spins like **** in 10.9 in every 10 or 5 minutes. As I know heat is the byproduct of used electricity, and 10.9 produces much more heat which could only mean much more electricity use. So do these still icons required to preserve battery. Oh, I don't believe so, it just seems someone is being lazy.

And some may argue, mavericks is not for mid 2010 computers, but I noticed lowered battery times (before you say : I did calibration and resets) in my macbook pro retina 2014 after 10.9 upgrade. About five hrs to 4 although still new and at the original capacity in the test.

Apr 27, 2014 7:57 PM in response to Kahn

I agree with you that it is these nice interface features that we like about Apple. But I still choose to believe that Apple remove the spinning for good reason. Maybe it doesnt want to distract user (though you can disable from showing it in the menu bar entirely) while we are working since we don't really care if the backup is running or not.

Just my 2-cents thought ;-)

Time Machine icon not spinning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.