Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi is GRAYED OUT after resetting network settings on iPhone 4S

iPhone 4S

iOS 7: 7.0.2 (11A501) -- I don't have 7.0.3 or 7.0.4 because it won't update; error

Hi,

One day my wireless router wasn't being detected, but on other devices it was so I decided to reset the network settings (Settings --> General --> Reset --> Reset Network Settings)

Then when I go to settings --> Wifi, the slider and text is GRAYED OUT (just like this picture, see link: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1559 )

The solution (after reading similar posts on here & apple link) is to reset network settings, so i had to do that again, but still not working! I did the Apple reset (home button + shut down button) nope still not working.

Somebody PLEASE HELP me -- I can never access the internet now !!!!! 3G works fine, but too much money. I always use Wifi.

Should I just keep resetting Network settings?? Should I ring Apple New Zealand?? Any other solutions or help??

Do you have this question??

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.2, Windows 7 64 bit laptop

Posted on Nov 30, 2013 5:04 PM

9 replies

Dec 2, 2013 1:29 PM in response to KristanK

Hi KristanK, thanks for posting here. If you stumble on a tip or solution, please let us know by posting here in this thread 😀 But, I have a question for you -- how did the wifi gray out for you? I reset my network settings after my router wasn't being detected, then the wifi slider turned gray. How did it happen for you?

Oh, and the apple page http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1559

says to reset network settings and/or restore (tried resetting network settings several times, but isn't that the mess that started my problem in the first place 😟) So I am going to ring Apple New Zealand once I finish the last of my school assignments! That's the only solution for me... maybe I'll get a new phone (warranty hopefully). I can't be bothered restoring (the apple page says to try, you did it too; unsuccessful) but it probably won't work. Argh...

~ Krishna (krishnalovesyou)
PS: Please press the "I have this question too" button 🙂

Dec 2, 2013 2:25 PM in response to krishnalovesyou

i had the same thing. i went to the apple store and they said i had to pay for A HOLE NEW PHONE! so i complained and got a new phone for free. But there are some ways you could try but didnt work for me, but did work for others. One theory is you take your phone and put it in a plastic bag and leave in freezer for 15 min. I didnt trust that so i tried a different way. i used a blow dryer and heaten my phone until it said it was to hot. then let cool off. other people said this stuff has worked but i never tried it because it could break other things in the phone.

good luck. hope i helped

Dec 2, 2013 9:34 PM in response to futureapplecare

Hi futureapplecare, thanks for posting your experience with this issue.

Before I start, I have a question for you: How did the wifi gray out for you? (I asked KristanK the same question)

Sorry, I do not think this a suitable solution. I'd rather not rely on faddish ways, because I need to understand exactly how the phone is being fixed. It can damage the phone. both ideas sound unsafe and unpredictable It does not sound sensible either. Both ideas are unsafe and unpredictable. It's highly likely that this causes internal damage to the phone/device (to the the insides and hardware, less life span/battery life etc etc). The ideas could only solve the problem temporarily; the problem might recur and/or persist. Of course, this will damage the device... Not recommend by apple either. I'll just try another solution or get a new phone.

Dec 2, 2013 10:17 PM in response to krishnalovesyou

krishnalovesyou wrote:

Hi futureapplecare, thanks for posting your experience with this issue.

Before I start, I have a question for you: How did the wifi gray out for you? (I asked KristanK the same question)

Sorry, I do not think this a suitable solution. I'd rather not rely on faddish ways, because I need to understand exactly how the phone is being fixed. It can damage the phone. both ideas sound unsafe and unpredictable It does not sound sensible either. Both ideas are unsafe and unpredictable. It's highly likely that this causes internal damage to the phone/device (to the the insides and hardware, less life span/battery life etc etc). The ideas could only solve the problem temporarily; the problem might recur and/or persist. Of course, this will damage the device... Not recommend by apple either. I'll just try another solution or get a new phone.

Welcome to the dark side of iOS 7 upgraders of iPhone 4s's. Please refer to the big thread https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4638071?tstart=0

Dec 3, 2013 8:33 PM in response to krishnalovesyou

Hi Krishna,

I only saw the replies this morning sorry (thanks gmail for filtering the replies to an area I don't look at as often!).

I am up to phone number 3 in 3 weeks... first one was about 12 months old when it started doing strange things with battery use and crashing/turning off when trying to take photos or video and battery = under 20% left (ie it would turn off and say it was flat even though it was still at 15% or often more battery life... only to revive when plugged in, at which time it would say it was at the 15% or whereever it left off?? Always died when I tried to take pictures/video in certain places where the 3G signal was weak, so I dare say communication issues, battery... who knows.

SO phone number two, within less than a few days of getting it rebooted (and that was hard work as we kept getting severe storms interrupting the 7.04 update I had to put on it, in order to restore to my other phone?)... it stopped talking to our wifi network. Then a day or two after that, it went to greyed out. I went through the 'reset network settings' etc side of things, restored it as new without any apps etc, then it still was greyed out.

I requested another replacement mid last week... got the replacement by Friday, then had to go through the pain of updating yet again, I replied as I was going through the pain of setting it up.

Funny thing is, the next morning, it worked when restored as my 'normal' phone... for an hour or two. Then it dropped the ability to connect to the wifi again... then yesterday I got sick of it (2 days of it back on 3G/data again) and went to apple chat again to talk through it with someone, they said to do the restore network settings thing again... worked again for an hour or two. Then wifi not available at all. GRR.

Last night I again tried to restore the 2nd phone to new (figured it was worth a shot!) and then it was still greyed out as well....

Last night I got on apple chat again and talked to another Apple employee who said that given the complexity and repeated failure, it might be good if I can get into a store for them to run diagnostics on it. Its about an hours drive for me, so not an option at the moment. The next option is to send *another* replacement out and try again.

I'm glad I've paid the $99 for the extended warranty again... hoping before the end of January next year that I get a stable phone OR convince them enough's enough and to give me a newer one or something better than the constant return cycle. It'll work out cheaper for them to just give me a new one than all this back and forth I reckon!

So yeah, I haven't progressed to anywhere useful, sorry...!

Dec 4, 2013 1:52 PM in response to KristanK

Hi KristanK,

Oh okay, so did the replacement gray out for you too? So phone #1 battery goes flat at 20% or something?! Did you know, that happened with me too! I swear, I had 28%, then I left it, then suddenly it is flat! One time, I had 73% at night, put an alarm, left it and it next to me! Morning = flat.

Thanks for sharing with me.

Wifi is GRAYED OUT after resetting network settings on iPhone 4S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.