Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i installed Maverick on my MacBookPro, now it starts but the wheel spins forever and won't go to login screen. what do I do?

I used disk utility. No luck. I know I should probably trade the hard drive and reinstall snow leopard because that is what originally came with the computer when I bought it. I need to use the computer now. Once I login, things seem to work ok, but, not perfectly smooth.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Nov 30, 2013 5:46 PM

2 replies

Dec 1, 2013 2:42 AM in response to mbzgurl

Sometimes a Safe Boot will sort out odd issues after an upgrade - won't do any harm to try:

Restart holding down the Shift key until you see the grey progress bar, input your admin password when prompted and let it (hopefully) boot. Restart as normal from the Apple menu once it's booted.

How much RAM do you have? The specs say 2gb is needed but user experience seems to indicate that anything less than 4gb and Mavericks will struggle.

Dec 1, 2013 1:47 PM in response to Paul_31

I called Apple Care and tried holding the shift key down. The progress bar appeared but stopped 1/4 of the way and wouldn't go any further. I have 4 gigs of RAM. Since I posted this question, I got so fed up I reinstalled Maverick agian. (3rd time). Things seem to be going smoothly so far, although I have not attempted to restart, or log off. I'm afraid I'll run into the same problem again, this is what happened on the second install. We shall see what happens next. Ideally, I would like to earse my hard drive and reinstalled Snow Leopard. It worked the best and that is what the computer came with. Thanks for helping! Cheers!

i installed Maverick on my MacBookPro, now it starts but the wheel spins forever and won't go to login screen. what do I do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.