Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Retina Bootcamp Gaming

Hello,

I just recently bought a Macbook Pro Retina 15" Early 2013 2.7Ghz 16GB RAM 512GB SSD with Nivida GT650M graphics.

I have got Bootcamp Windows 8.1 installed which I am using it for gaming. I am running 1050P scaled to full screen.

I have been playing Battlefield 4 on the Nvidia "optimized settings" (All Low graphics, 1050P resolution with great FPS).

According to Real Temp app,

my CPU temperature sits around 95 Degrees Celcius when I play.

And, when not gaming and just using for web browsing windows 8.1, CPU temperatuer is 65 degrees Celcius

The internal fans sounds like it is running at maximum. The cooling pad seems to make no difference in temperature.

Is this normal? Or is this too much for a Macbook Pro to handle? If so, what can I do to bring down the temperature?

Hope someone can help.

Best Regards

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Early 2013), Mac OS X (10.7.5), Bootcamp Windows 8.1

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 1:58 AM

6 replies

Jun 10, 2017 1:16 PM in response to Rolland ZhanG

Hi there.

I see its a while ago this conversation has taken place...

I have bought a rMBPr 15" early 2013 nearly 2 years ago.

After 3 weeks trying to get used to the OSX ecosystem (i come from 9 years of windows and gaming towers), I gave up and went on the internet. I quickly found out that there is an easy way to setup windows on the MBP thru apple itself.

So i've had windows 7 for quite a long time on my MBPr. 2 months ago i deleted it (made an image file of the windows disk), because i ran out of space. I'm now going to dedicate 350 gb to windows.

Coming back at your question, I have had severe cooling issues as well. For battlefield 4, which i played a lot on my MBP, I have this program called Macfan control.

I use it in Windows and OSX. In osx because the laptop stays cooler overal by raising the fan curve by +- 30%.

The fans of all macbooks tend to rise at 75-80 degrees celsius above their 'silent' levels. This is at about 3k rpm. After that, the standard fanspeed curve is very steep, with the temps going to 90+.

at 105 celsius, the CPU will auto-shutdown to prevent damage.

In windows, however, the MBP seems to be while idle already 45/50 degrees celsius. In the macfan program, i have the triggerpoint for the fans to raise at 40. The Temp at which they go max is 55.

I use headphones while gaming, because its like a vacuum cleaner 😀.

I also have a cooling stand from Coolermaster. It's called the Notepal U2. This doesn't work. At least, the fans are useless. Maybe with the bigger, for 17" notebooks" Notepal U3+ would make a small difference. This because the inlets of the MBPr are located (imagine you are typing, screen flipped open) underneath where your wrists would be. The fans with my cooling stand cant really blow air in those inlets. The outlet is in the hinge. the fans cant really blow air from underneath to help get rid of the heat, unfortunately..

I use the stand now. Without the fans. It makes 5 degrees difference in bootcamp playing bf4, and its tilted, so its good for your wrists and hands!

https://www.crystalidea.com/macs-fan-control

This is the program. When you setup the curve, let both fans monitor cpu core 1. Thats the most used core generally.

Temps:

OSX

35-70

Windows

40-55

A wet towel, cooled down in the freezer, does help in the summer. The chassis of the MBP is aluminium and designed to distribute heat.

I hope i may have helped.

On youtube are some interesting solutions... Go have a look there if you like.

Dec 4, 2013 3:34 PM in response to Rolland ZhanG

Not really an expert in the area, but I have been trying to find out stuff about this for myself as I'm going to be purchasing a 15 inch MBP with Retina in January and want to use it for some gaming, and my understanding is that the Windows drivers aren't very well suited to the Mac hardware meaning that it doesn't have as effective use of the fans and cooling system as when you are using OSX.

Hope this helps!

Macbook Pro Retina Bootcamp Gaming

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.