Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to clean up my Aperture library?

My Apeture library is so bloated. It's running a little slow.

I have tons of unculled projects and folders and most of the projects are just date names.

Can anyone give me any suggestions of workflows of how to go about cleaning up the library?

I originally imported my iPhoto library and built it from there. There seem to be duplicates of the photos which came in from my iPhoto library but I'm not sure, they may just be stacks.

Either way, I would like everything rated, labelled and organized. I just don't konw where to start!!

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 3:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 4:41 AM

Start by brewing a large pot of coffee or tea and giving yourself time to think about the way you want to find and retrieve your images in Apertures.

Then plan and design your storage and retrieval structure. The better you plan the design in advance and analyze your workflow, the easier it will be to implement and maintain the structure once you set it up. Otherwise you might end up continually redesigning your library.

• Storage structure to group the projects: Set up a scheme of folders to group and hold related projects, for example folders for family related events, like birthdays or anniverasies, folders for business related projects, folders for sporting events, travels, etc. You might want to break thisdown further by creating subfolders for years, or other specifics. My travel folder has subfolders for 10-years groups of travels, to be able to collapse or disclose larger parts of the projects list. And these groups are further subdivided by folders for sailing trips, biking trips, wildlife safaris.
  • Retrieval structure - albums, smart albums, keywords, faces, places: The retrieval part of the library will give you quick access by grouping related images.
    • If you like to access photos based on the names of the persons in the photos, use the Faces view to tag the faces in the images.
    • If the location is important, use the Places view or geocoding software to tag the photos with location information or GPS coordinates.
    • Keywords you have to plan on your own. For example, I have a set of keywords based on the purpose I want to use the photos for: Screensaver, web album, publication, book, collection.
    • Other keywords mark my collections: Lighthouses, flowers, wildlife pictures.
    • Some keywords describe the quality of the photos - favorite, corrupted, too grainy, noisy
    • Some keywords describe the source of the image - raytracing, drawing, scan, panorama stitch
  • Maintainance structure: I found, it helps also to have dedicated smart albums that will refer to the state of processing and properties of the image files:
    • Smart albums based on the file type: raw, jpeg, tiff
    • Smart albums based on the state of tagging - geocoded, faces, adjusted
    • Smart albums based on the file status - referenced, missing, managed
    • Smart albums based on the camera
    • A playground with events with duplicates for experimenting

Once you have thought about your workflow and the ways you need to access and use your photos, define keywords that well reflect these uses and define smart albums based on these keywords and other metadata tags available, like the make of the camera.

Feel free to ask more. I am sure, others will add their recommendations.

-- Léonie

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2013 4:41 AM in response to composerguy78

Start by brewing a large pot of coffee or tea and giving yourself time to think about the way you want to find and retrieve your images in Apertures.

Then plan and design your storage and retrieval structure. The better you plan the design in advance and analyze your workflow, the easier it will be to implement and maintain the structure once you set it up. Otherwise you might end up continually redesigning your library.

• Storage structure to group the projects: Set up a scheme of folders to group and hold related projects, for example folders for family related events, like birthdays or anniverasies, folders for business related projects, folders for sporting events, travels, etc. You might want to break thisdown further by creating subfolders for years, or other specifics. My travel folder has subfolders for 10-years groups of travels, to be able to collapse or disclose larger parts of the projects list. And these groups are further subdivided by folders for sailing trips, biking trips, wildlife safaris.
  • Retrieval structure - albums, smart albums, keywords, faces, places: The retrieval part of the library will give you quick access by grouping related images.
    • If you like to access photos based on the names of the persons in the photos, use the Faces view to tag the faces in the images.
    • If the location is important, use the Places view or geocoding software to tag the photos with location information or GPS coordinates.
    • Keywords you have to plan on your own. For example, I have a set of keywords based on the purpose I want to use the photos for: Screensaver, web album, publication, book, collection.
    • Other keywords mark my collections: Lighthouses, flowers, wildlife pictures.
    • Some keywords describe the quality of the photos - favorite, corrupted, too grainy, noisy
    • Some keywords describe the source of the image - raytracing, drawing, scan, panorama stitch
  • Maintainance structure: I found, it helps also to have dedicated smart albums that will refer to the state of processing and properties of the image files:
    • Smart albums based on the file type: raw, jpeg, tiff
    • Smart albums based on the state of tagging - geocoded, faces, adjusted
    • Smart albums based on the file status - referenced, missing, managed
    • Smart albums based on the camera
    • A playground with events with duplicates for experimenting

Once you have thought about your workflow and the ways you need to access and use your photos, define keywords that well reflect these uses and define smart albums based on these keywords and other metadata tags available, like the make of the camera.

Feel free to ask more. I am sure, others will add their recommendations.

-- Léonie

Dec 1, 2013 5:05 AM in response to léonie

Léonie wrote:

Then plan and design your storage and retrieval structure. The better you plan the design in advance and analyze your workflow, the easier it will be to implement and maintain the structure once you set it up.

• Storage structure to group the projects:
  • Retrieval structure - albums, smart albums, keywords, faces, places:
  • Maintainance structure:

I am sure, others will add their recommendations.

I recommend everyone read this post, and that you make it a User Tip 🙂 . Well thought, well said. I expect that it will eventually show in the User Manual.

How to clean up my Aperture library?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.