Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Add an old hdd to a Mac Pro

I have an old pc with Windows Vista on it, and i recently bought a Mac Pro. Now I want to install the hard drive in the Mac Pro, but what do I have to do? Do I first have to clean the hdd and then install it into the Mac, or otherway around?

Thank you in advance

Mac Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 4:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 7:02 AM

Use Disk Utility => Partitions tab (you need to click on the raw hard drive name) and change the number of partitions, click "Optons" at the bottom and change it to GUID (GPT) and click Apply.

Then Apply the partition number, name, size again on the screen you were on.

Rather simply when you see a screen shot from Partition in DU.

Nothing else to do though.

Vista came out almost 7 yrs ago though. So not sure how reliable or good the drive is. I would while in Windows run WD Llifeguard and zero out the drive which will remove all the partitions and partition table, do a full format to insure no bad blocks. But compared to newer drives in terms of capacity and performance... unless you have been updating drives already, I'd use it for a spare backup.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2013 7:02 AM in response to AppleKnowledge

Use Disk Utility => Partitions tab (you need to click on the raw hard drive name) and change the number of partitions, click "Optons" at the bottom and change it to GUID (GPT) and click Apply.

Then Apply the partition number, name, size again on the screen you were on.

Rather simply when you see a screen shot from Partition in DU.

Nothing else to do though.

Vista came out almost 7 yrs ago though. So not sure how reliable or good the drive is. I would while in Windows run WD Llifeguard and zero out the drive which will remove all the partitions and partition table, do a full format to insure no bad blocks. But compared to newer drives in terms of capacity and performance... unless you have been updating drives already, I'd use it for a spare backup.

Dec 5, 2013 8:31 AM in response to The hatter

I know it is quite an old hdd but it is still working fine, so that's no problem.

I don't really understand your explanation. Do I first need to format my hdd when it is in the pc and then put it in the Mac, where I will format it to a Mac journal hdd. Or can I just take the hdd out of my pc put in my Mac and then format it all at once?

Dec 5, 2013 8:40 AM in response to AppleKnowledge

AppleKnowledge wrote:

I don't really understand your explanation. Do I first need to format my hdd when it is in the pc and then put it in the Mac, where I will format it to a Mac journal hdd. Or can I just take the hdd out of my pc put in my Mac and then format it all at once?

I think he is suggesting you do a more thorough erase/ re-format in Windows beforehand as it will help ensure the drive is truly healthy and ready for it's new home. Not a required step, but not a bad idea if you've got the time and the software and the patience.

If you prefer, you could just install it into your Mac as-is. Then use Disk Utility to re-partition and re-format.

Dec 5, 2013 8:49 AM in response to AppleKnowledge

My Vista era disk drives were doing well to get 75-85MB/sec, today's drives on SATA II get 125-135MB possible (WD Black 2TB) but get 175MB/sec on a SATA III controller. And of course the more popular system drive now is SSD like Samsung 840 EVO with 90,000 I/O per sec and 500MB reads (limit on SATA II they still make the best boot drive).

WD Lifeguard for Windows is excellent and will properly prepare the drive when used to run through the whole drive and insure all the blocks are in good order. It will be blank. Mac OS uses GPT and is different from a Windows GPT somewhat also, so Disk Utility will set it up with Mac partitions and tables for use and HFS+.

Dec 5, 2013 9:06 AM in response to The hatter

The hatter wrote:

My Vista era disk drives were doing well to get 75-85MB/sec, today's drives on SATA II get 125-135MB possible

This is consistent with what I've observed using Disk Speed Test. My Mac Pro's original 2009 WD drive (Apple factory HDD) yields 70-75MB/sec on both read and write. My new WD Blue 1TB is over 140MB.

The new drive is Sata III plugged into a SATA II port, by the way.

Dec 5, 2013 11:17 AM in response to The hatter

The hatter wrote:

But I am amazed the WD Blue 1TB does that well!!

I was surprised, too.

My older WD Blue (early 2012) gets 120MB/sec. It's the previous generation Caviar.

So the latest ones are definitely a step up.

The new 1TB is also several degrees cooler than the ones from last year. And very very light. That 2009 WD is substantially heavier.

Add an old hdd to a Mac Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.