Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPhone 5 gps reference photo

Dear reade,

I need your help.

I have a bunch of photos which i took with my Nikon, nicely uploaded to Aperture. No problem there.

Also i made a picture with my iphone 5 so i could use it as a GPS reference photo.

When i open the project in Aperture, go to places and select GPS, import GPS from Iphone photo, the pop-up screen remains empty. Eventhough i have plenty of pictures shot on my iphone wiht the GPS one.

What could be the reason that it doesn''t work?

Thanks,

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 5:40 AM

15 replies

Dec 1, 2013 8:01 AM in response to léonie

Léonie So it;s broken again? Ahhhh…

Kirby you;re right, the old workaround was to import the images and use the GPS data but if I remember correctly there was no way to make a track file out of the GPS data that way.

So while it is doable (lift and stamp the GPS data) it's not the same as having a track file.

I wonder if there are any apps out there that would take the GPS data from a bunch of image files and create a track file from it? Then you could import the track file.

Dec 1, 2013 8:12 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

True.. of course i can stamp all other picures.. But if I want to give them the same location, there are other ways of doing that as well.

I was hoping to create a track on which my pics would show.

Perhaps apple picks it up again..

OR even better.. comes out with a new version.. in which this application works as well as a perspective correction.

Even GIMP and lightroom have this feature... sad to see that Aperture doens't.

let see what happens

Dec 1, 2013 9:27 AM in response to Bredapple

There is a way to create a track file from picture files using the free application exiftool. Just trying it out now and it does work.

It is a bit involved and requires you to use the terminal to create the track file. Once the track file is created you can import it into Aperture and set the Nikon images to it. If this is something you think you want to look into post back and I'll help walk you through the steps.

Note if you geotag the images you shoot with the Nikon often then it may be worth your while to look into the many Apps for the iPhone foe this. Having an App to do this saves you from having to remember to take a picture with the iPhone just to get the location.

Dec 1, 2013 9:37 AM in response to Bredapple

Hopefully then Apple will fix this quicker then it did last time.

However my point still stands if you are going to geotag images shot with the Nikon you are better off getting either an app for the iPhone or a stand alone geotagger. Relying on the pictures taken with the iPhone is just not very accurate.

In the mean time if you have a bunch of Nikon files you need to tag you can either go the lift and stamp route or you can make a track file from the iPhone pictures and import that into Aperture to tag the Nikon images.

good luck

regards

Dec 1, 2013 10:08 AM in response to Bredapple

In addition to a better accuracy, as Frank pointed out, there is one more big advantage in using an app for geocoding before importing into Aperture. This way your original master image files will have the geocoding, not only the versions. Otherwise you may run into problems with missing GPS, if you create new versions from the originals or export the originals.

I use Jephoto studio for geocoding the originals before importing into Aperture. It is not free, but can also create web pages with Google maps, photos, and tracks overlayed on the map.

Dec 1, 2013 10:26 AM in response to Frank Caggiano

you can either go the lift and stamp route or you can make a track file from the iPhone pictures and import that into Aperture to tag the Nikon images.

or show the places pins of the iPhone photos on the map in "Places" view and simply drag all other photos taken at the same location as one of the iPhone photos to the same pin. That will do the same as the lift&stamp.

IPhone 5 gps reference photo

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.