Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Resize TM partition in the end of hard-drive.

Hi!

I have 1 TB Usb disk, used for data & backups (750G data, 250G backups). Now I want to buy new HDD for my data needs, and thus extend TM partition to full 1TB.

Problem is, Data-partition is first one, and backups-partition sits in the end of HDD (I'm not a pro in terms of hardware, and I don't know if this prevents extension of partition).

What should be my sequence of actions to get full disk to be used for TM?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 7:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 7:24 AM

Erase the data partition, move the Time Machine backups to it, delete the backup one, and resize the first partition to the drive's capacity.

(93723)

3 replies

Dec 1, 2013 8:49 AM in response to nekoexmachina

Did you say you have live data on your backup drive? That is not a good idea. If and when that disk fails you will lose that live data. If you erase it you will definitely lose the data. You need a backup for your external data as well as your internal data. Time Machine can do that.

If you have 750 GB of live data on that drive then you may want to consider buying a 2 TB backup drive.

I would move the Time Machine backups to the new backup drive, remove that 750 GB partition from the Time Machine exclusions list and then run a backup before resizing the data partition.

 > System Preferences > Time Machine > Options… > Remove the offload HD name from the exclusions list.

Now both your system disk and your external offload disk will be backed up onto your Time Machine disk.

Dec 1, 2013 9:05 AM in response to hands4

hands4,

Thank you for answering!

You need a backup for your external data

Not in this case. Most of 750G is iTunes media, some part is photo-bank (which is synced via rsync by-hand with dataserver with mirroring when new photos are processed);

All critical data is stored on internal hard-drive.

My new setup will include 750G USB3.0 HDD (current HDD is USB2.0 which limits speed a lot, and this is a reason to buy new one), from which only photos will be backuped via Time Machine.

The point of extension is that I just don't want to use data disk with USB2.0 speed limit.

Resize TM partition in the end of hard-drive.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.