Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

One bad RAM slot?

Hello.

I have an i5 Macbook Pro, Mid 2012, Still under the one-year warranty with extended Apple Care (hypotetically).

A few weeks ago, I had an issue where my screen suddenly went crazy and my system froze. I shut it down, and got three beeps upon boot. After a few attempts, the system successfully boots, but will freeze and require shutdown if jostled.

Discovering that the three beeps were pointing to a RAM problem, I opened my computer and did some experimenting. When using the 2GB RAM sticks that came with my computer, my computer had issues only when the bottom slot was occupied. I tried every possible combination - both sticks worked fine in the top slot, but if either of them were in the bottom slot, or both slots were occupied, the computer continued to have issues.

I maaaaaay have spilled liquid on my MBP a while back, so I am doubtful of warranty coverage. My computer runs fine on the one memory stick, but it's rather slow with only 2 GBs of RAM installed. My questions are: Would it be reasonable to buy a larger RAM stick to compensate for the other slot? Is it possible that the problem may lie somewhere else other than the RAM bank? Is it possible to replace the bank without having to buy an entire new logic board?

Thank you - Noah

Oh, the startup sound is quiet when using the bad slot. I don't know what's going on there. I've also had an 'x' over my battery icon once on boot, but it has only happened once.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 8:21 AM

4 replies

Dec 1, 2013 9:00 AM in response to NoFee

NoFee

I maaaaaay have spilled liquid on my MBP a while back

In the case of a spill, online diagnosis is really impossible, as having repaired many laptops as a job in the past, it cannot be done online.

Contact Apple for in shop service which is free to determine the extent of the damage and likely repair.

Liquid spills, why your MacBook Air chassis is a one-way valve for spills

After a substantial spill many people will turn their notebook upside down and shake it, not only does this not work, but it spreads liquid havoc throughout your machine and makes things often as bad as possible. The keyboard itself acts like a one way valve in the case of a substantial liquid spill. While liquid pours into the bottom chassis easy, it does not come out easily at all, and in the case of any spill, most of it will not come out by turning it upside down. Disconnect all power and contact Apple for diagnostics and repair.

User uploaded file

Do not attempt to, after a spill, ‘dry out your MacBook Air’ and test it

After a spill most people invariably try to “dry out” their notebook by various methods, including hair dryers and otherwise. This both does not work, and after a substantial spill of any magnitude, even if the liquid was water, residue is left behind. There are additionally many very tight places inside your notebook where liquids will linger for a very long time, and cause corrosion or worse. Immediately unplug your notebook and contact Apple for in shop diagnostics and parts replacement. In the case of very minor spills people will “dry out” their notebook and feel success that their notebook is working ok, however invariably in nearly all instances after 4-14 days an error / fault pops up and is usually followed by more.

One bad RAM slot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.