Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New 2013 Macbook Pro Retina won't restart or shut down

My new 15" and 13" - 1 TB SSD Macbook Pro Retina laptops both have a similar problem. They frequenty hang/freeze/lock up and when I try to restart or shut down, the most I get is the blank screen with the turning wheel - permanently- and I have to force power off to get a response. Very disappointing. These are the most expensive computers I've had and I'm having more major problems than ever. What ever happened to "it just works" ???

I sure hope the Apple quality isn't really slipping, but it sure is beginning to seem that way.

Do we have hardware issues? Defects? I doubt that I have 2 defective computers, but am beginning to wonder. And certainly hope not, as I have spent 3 weeks setting them up and configuring them and loading all my personal and business data.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks much

Fred

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9), New 2013 model 15inch, 1 T SSD

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 9:51 AM

9 replies

Dec 1, 2013 10:11 AM in response to fredfrommccormick

Barring an incredible coincidence, the most likely explanation is that you have installed some software with system-level components that aren't really ready for Mavericks. Have you installed any such software?

Another explanation would be having run a system "cleanup" or "optimization" utility that doesn't know Mavericks well enough to avoid damaging it, but that seems less likely given that you've had the computers for a few weeks, not long enough to need "cleanup" or "optimization."

Dec 18, 2013 1:26 AM in response to markwmsn

Mine is the same. Wont shut down needing hard shut down. Display won't wake from sleep while in user login screen without logging in blind. Constant wake, sleep and shut down issues since purchase. Updates are not addressing the issue.

I'm seriously considering returning this machine - it's just not good enough. I am not running any system management software. I've tried force quitting all apps, but it still wont shut down. No error messages, no timeouts, just wont turn off without pressing and holding power button.

Dec 28, 2013 12:35 PM in response to fredfrommccormick

I have the same problem. I am fearful that all these hard shutoffs will damage some system files. I called support and the tech said he hadn't heard of this problem before. I was the first. He had me do a lot of startups holding many different combination of keys because the system was stuck on the apple logo but the display was distorted with pink and grey pixels. finally one of the things that he had me do which downloaded some system startup files fixed the issue for about a week. Now i am back to the same situation. On Mountain Lion i did not have these problems. My other mackbook pro non-retina does not have this problem.

Jun 11, 2014 11:02 PM in response to damyion

Dear all, I've a same problem on my macbook pro Retina, bought in February 2012 and upgraded with Maverick in last December. My mac shutdown after few minutes. and when you come back and click on pad or any letter on keyboard, it's no answer! need to restart forcing and several time I've my screen dark but after PRAM cleanup and restart, the screen lightuop and works correct...

I've had a mac diagnosis with Mac support and everything are fine and correctly welldone. But this kind of Bug seems like the video card concerns and need to change by replacing a complete logic bard. I'm really surprised that no possibility on this Mac, to change just the video card neither the memory card if you have memory problem!!!

After one year and a half my Mac is now out of warranty care and I need to change all logic Board component!! cost around 500 $ even I've bougth my Mac around 3000€. It's not fair from Mac service.

But I just discovered this article (see the link below) and will try to do that. Maybe this can fix this bug.

http://gizmodo.com/5921877/your-brand-new-macbook-is-freaking-out-and-heres-how- to-fix-it,

please have a look on that maybe Chrom is the origine of this bug.

Second solution to avoid automatic shutdown and restart forcing again and again, just make your Mac sleep voluntary by click in the Apple menu. This option works well.every time when you come back and insert your password Mac wakeup and works perfectly.

Feb 1, 2015 7:45 PM in response to blakejohnsoncsr

I have kind of given up on the quality of my Macbook Pro Retina 15" with SSD. Though it's a nice fast machine when it works, it has, since I bought it in late 2012, had a series of major problems, and continues to have these same problems.

They are all related to sleep / wake / shut down and start up.

If the machine goes to sleep with the lid open, I often get no response when I try to wake it - no track pad or keypad response and I have to force power off and restart.

Sometimes it freezes up and I also have to force power off.

Often when I restart, I have to log in twice, on two different screens to get it going again.

I can't buy that it's any kind of software issue. I really am beginning to believe that Apple has made a defective product and no one seems to know what to do to fix it. I've put up with it for two years of heavy use and it does work except for the above, but what an annoyance. I have been very loyal to Apple and have just about every product they make and even teach classes in my community called a Mac User Group, but my confidence is being shaken if not destroyed.

I really think Apple should make this good in some way.

New 2013 Macbook Pro Retina won't restart or shut down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.