Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Network Harddrive on Airport extreme

I'm trying to get a hard drive to come up as a network harddrive that I can use across computers. I have a lot of music and want to share it across my computers and parallels. Right now I'm struggling getting it to hook up and show up. I plug it in but nothing happens. Is this an issue with the new airport extreme or am I not able to do this. I use parallels a lot and would like for this harddrive to be accessible from all parallels and the home computer so that I can just swap files that way and not have to constantly hook and unhook the harddrive. I not only use parallels for windows but other osx's as well so I'm not just talking about windows. I would like to get this to work through the network as I am fixing to but me a new macbook pro and will wan

iPhone 5s, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 11:20 AM

5 replies

Dec 1, 2013 11:32 AM in response to carltonfrombedford

carltonfrombedford Bedford, VA

It is a 1TB Western digital my passport.

WD drives with their likewise software are having issues with Mavericks,

see here for info:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5475136?start=255&tstart=0

http://community.wd.com/t5/External-Drives-for-Mac/bd-p/passport_mac

😊

Do not use WD software, and uninstall same, if a RAID, let disk utility handle RAID, do not use 3rd party HD software

carltonfrombedford Bedford, VA

will not recognize a exfat format and I just checked and that is what it is.

âž•Correct, it needs to be HFS+ or Mac OSX extended journaled format (same thing)

FORMAT TYPES

FAT32 (File Allocation Table)

• Read/Write FAT32 from both native Windows and native Mac OS X.
  • Maximum file size: 4GB.
  • Maximum volume size: 2TB
  • You can use this format if you share the drive between Mac OS X and Windows computers and have no files larger than 4GB.

NTFS (Windows NT File System)

• Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
  • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
  • To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
    • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon (approx $20) (Best Choice for Lion)
    • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and Lion, but is not advisable, due to instability.
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
  • Maximum file size: 16 TB
  • Maximum volume size: 256TB
  • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.

HFS+ ((((MAC FORMAT)))) (Hierarchical File System, a.k.a. Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Don't use case-sensitive)

• Read/Write HFS+ from native Mac OS X
  • Required for Time Machine or Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper! backups of Mac internal hard drive.
  • To Read HFS+ (but not Write) from Windows, Install HFSExplorer
  • Maximum file size: 8EiB
  • Maximum volume size: 8EiB
  • You can use this format if you only use the drive with Mac OS X, or use it for backups of your Mac OS X internal drive, or if you only share it with one Windows PC (with MacDrive installed on the PC)

EXFAT (FAT64)

• Supported in Mac OS X only in 10.6.5 or later.
  • Not all Windows versions support exFAT.
  • exFAT (Extended File Allocation Table)
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support exFAT
  • Maximum file size: 16 EiB
  • Maximum volume size: 64 ZiB
  • You can use this format if it is supported by all computers with which you intend to share the drive. See "disadvantages" for details.

Dec 1, 2013 11:53 AM in response to carltonfrombedford

First I'd recommend against using a WD EHD.Their HD's are excellent however their enclosures tend to be probolamtic with OS X.I'd recommend a higher quality drive. The drives I'd recommend are OWC Mercury Elite Pro or G Tech or Lacie. If you are going to put valuable info like your music, photos or movies it simply doesn't make sense to use a cheap drive like a WD.

Once you have a quality HD then format it Mac OS Extended (Journaled) using Disk Utility.

Network Harddrive on Airport extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.