Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't I re download previous purchased albums can anyone help

iPhone 4S, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 12:51 PM

5 replies

Dec 1, 2013 8:02 PM in response to VVingy

Yep. I unfortunately had to wipe my MBP AGAIN.... because there were some issues with Mavericks, and of course, I didn't have my newest purchased music backed up. So, I go to iTunes store to download it, assume that it downloads it all, I re-add all my backed-up music to my library again, and I realize the list is short. Sho' nuff, I go to a specific album I have in the store, it says Purchased, but it is grayed out. It also did not re-download to my library. I've been looking for over an hour trying to find a solution, but all the posts I've read don't help me solve my problem. The album is still available for purchase on iTunes, so I am pretty aggrivated that I can't download something I paid money for...***.

User uploaded file

Dec 1, 2013 8:34 PM in response to ghawthorne88

Well, this is just perfect.

evoneer Belfast, Northern Ireland

If you didn't make a back-up of your music/movie purchases to restore from (as you are advised to do) then I'm sorry to say that the policy on lost purchases is that you have to pay to download them again:
"Products may only be downloaded once; after being downloaded, they cannot be replaced if lost for any reason. Once a Product is purchased or rented (as applicable) and you receive the Product, it is your responsibility not to lose, destroy, or damage the Product, and Apple shall be without liability to you in the event of any loss, destruction, or damage" iTunes Store: Purchased content can be downloaded only once

If you have an iPod that still has any of your purchases on it you'll find details in this article on how to transfer them to the computer: Copying iTunes Store purchases from your iPod or iPhone to a computer

Purchased applications can be downloaded over again, see this article for details: How to redownload purchased applications from the App Store

Failing this, you could try contacting iTunes Store Customer Service and you might be able to persuade them to sanction a second free download. There have been occasional reports in the iTunes forum of this happening, however just be aware that they are not under any obligation to do so. If you click on this link it'll take you to the support/contact page: Customer Service - iTunes Store Support

You might also want to check out these pages for future reference:
How to back up your media in iTunes
Back up your iTunes library by copying to an external hard drive

Mac Pro 2.26, Black MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.1), 30GB iPod 5G, 80 GB iPod Classic, 2nd Generation iPod shuffle

Mar 28, 2014 8:41 AM in response to VVingy

According to this support article you can download any past purchases as long as you meet software and system requirments. it has worked for me as long as the song is not present in my library or itunes match. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2519

Ghawthorne 88 is flat out not right or may be referring to old rules. Explains 0 points.

The only exceptions are if the song is no longer available in the iTunes Store so you still need to back up the library.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.