Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dashed circle in my itunes

Hi,

so I'm trying to put new downloaded music onto my IPhone but there's a dotted circle for each song. I've tried deleting things off of my phone but the problem still persists. Is there anyway I can fix this easily?

Thanks.

iPhone 5, iOS 7.0.4

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 1:50 PM

19 replies

Oct 2, 2017 11:46 PM in response to caimac

so far no luck with this, signed out on both iTunes & iPhone 7, still have the circles.

did try removing the offending songs from the playlist and syncing, adding back and syncing, no joy.

the circles only show up on the phone, not iTunes. I logged out in iTunes, and logged out of my Apple account on phone.

I'll try playing the songs on the phone, maybe this is a non-issue, but it's odd that it won't go away.

Not real interested in erasing my entire phone and restoring.

Jan 19, 2014 1:26 AM in response to caimac

Dashed Circles (Downloads Waiting) Fix for iPhone

The dashed circles next to your songs ‘shown on this phone’ in iTunes or downloads on the phone that are waiting but never start, are symptomatic of a corrupt database somewhere on the phone itself.

The way to resolve the problem is to erase all content from the phone and restore it from your last backup using iTunes. Don’t panic - the restore feature includes all of your App data and settings.

The procedure as follows:

1. Connect phone to iTunes using USB cable for speed.

2. Deselect ‘Sync Music’ to remove all music.

3. Press ‘Sync’ to initiate a backup.

4. Go to the phone and select General>Reset>Erase all content and settings.

5. When the phone restarts, follow the prompts and restore from your last backup.

6. Unlock your phone.

7. Reselect ‘Sync Music’ in iTunes and then re-sync.

Hopefully, all good.

Squid

Feb 11, 2014 1:28 AM in response to mslaura79

The dashed circles also indicate an incomplete download

I have encountered two other causes for dashed circles to appear and both without any form of error messages appearing in iTunes. The dashed circles would appear randomly but only with new music. A re-sync would fix some but then not others.

Check your USB cable for damage. If you suspect you have overstressed your cable then try to remove all of the bends and do not move the phone or laptop during the re-sync process. Do not permit the phone to dangle under its own weight when hooked up as this also can interfere with the transfer.

Remove all other USB devices. If you have too much traffic on the interface the phone will stop and drop the current track then move on to the next one. A device like the Elgato EyeTV is known to interferfere with the transfer because it consumes a large amount of bandwidth.

Neither of the above faults will be obvious in iTunes but you will see odd messages in your System Logs during the re-sync.

Feb 11, 2014 7:31 PM in response to caimac

I was getting a dotted circle next to movies and tv shows and iTunes simply would not sync them. For both Movies and TV Shows, I have my iPad set to sync a single playlist each. Turns out for me it wasn't working because the Smart Playlist I was syncing was within a playlist folder. I simply moved the playlist to the top level, instead of being in a folder, and it immediately synced everything that was missing on the next attempt.

Mar 12, 2014 9:46 AM in response to caimac

I got this dotted circle when I manually stopped while it was in the middle of syncing music from my iTunes to my iPhone. The way I fixed it is by going on my iPhone from my computer. In the Summary section there should be a long horizontal bar at the bottom of the screen indicating how much memory you have used. Beside this bar is a button that says Sync. Click this and wait a few minutes while iTunes works and when it is done everything should be back to normal. Hopefully this works, good luck!

Dashed circle in my itunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.