Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Chapters? Sections? Pages? How should they be used?

I am creating a fairly short ebook, but it does cover a lot of topics, so it makes sense to divide it into chapters.

I see what the purpose of chapters and pages are, but what is the purpose of sections?

P.S. I want my ebook to have a working table of contents, so I am applying the proper styles to subheadings. Does the use of sections affect the table of contents?

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 1:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 2:47 PM

If its a short book you could split your content/ topics into one chapter and multiple sections. You do not need to have a chapter, just it delete from the tree and then add new sections. The TOC will be auto generated.

The final choice of layout will depend on what you create and how you want to display your content to a reader.

I suggest before you start your book, that you first experiment with a template of your choice. Add or delete a number of chapters and sections to see how they interplay and create the TOC.

This way, you see problems before they affect your book.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 1, 2013 2:47 PM in response to Timothy Arends1

If its a short book you could split your content/ topics into one chapter and multiple sections. You do not need to have a chapter, just it delete from the tree and then add new sections. The TOC will be auto generated.

The final choice of layout will depend on what you create and how you want to display your content to a reader.

I suggest before you start your book, that you first experiment with a template of your choice. Add or delete a number of chapters and sections to see how they interplay and create the TOC.

This way, you see problems before they affect your book.

Dec 1, 2013 8:35 PM in response to vinnyvg

When I created my first iBooks Author document some time ago, I did create one chapter with a lot of sections. I did this mainly because I liked the layout of the sections better in the template I used than the chapters, and my information fit the format better.

The problem is that it also caused the generated table of contents to look weird in portrait format with only one item, and in landscape mode to have decimal numbering like 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and so on.

Does Apple have a sample iBooks Author document available for download that I can use as a model, just to see how the ideal book is put together?

Dec 1, 2013 8:54 PM in response to Timothy Arends1

Do you intend your book to be in portrait mode or Landscape or both?

Does Apple have a sample iBooks Author document available for download that I can use as a model, just to see how the ideal book is put together?

You have 6 portrait only and 9 portrait and Landscape free templates. Use these to learn how a book is put together. text only - text and images etc,.

You have to decide which you want to use. If you want Landscape only- open the Inspector, top left book icon and near the boot check the box to Disab le Portrait Orientation. This lock syour book into landscape and your TOC will show chapters and sections or chapters only or sections only depending on how you create your book.

If you want both Portrait AND Landscape your have to create your book and where you want content in portrait, switch page orientation using the top iBA menu and create your content in the orientation and teh same in Landscape.

The problem is that it also caused the generated table of contents to look weird in portrait format with only one item, and in landscape mode to have decimal numbering like 1.1, 1.2, 1.3 and so on.

I always suggest using a new templete and practicing with that before you decide to create your book. If you practice first and understand how iBA works... it saves a lot of time , headaches and frustration when things dont work how you think the will.

Go to the iBooks store.. there are many Free books which deal with iBooks Author, I also suggest reading the iBA Help files which have been updated and explain basically everythuing you need to know.

This problem means either use more sections in Portrait or use a book locked into Landscape.

Dec 14, 2013 12:59 AM in response to vinnyvg

Thank you for the explanation. I am new to this and the difference between portrait only TOC and Landscape does take a bit of creative thinking. It is not very intuitive and without your explanation I should have been frustrated.

As it is in the portrait tem I can use Sections for my chapters and call the chapter Part One!

Good suggestion to just play with templates.

I have asked a question on this but your explanation answers my problem.

Chapters? Sections? Pages? How should they be used?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.