Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 7.0.4: App does not save data when powering off iPhone 5S

Hi All,

I recently encountered a headache of a problem using my brand spanking new iPhone 5S, which is running the newest iOS 7.0.4. Previously, I used an iPhone 4S running on iOS 5.1.1, and it never had this problem.

When the phone reaches ~1% battery and I continue to use an app, it would shut down automatically once the battery is depleted. On my iPhone 4S, it proceeds to save whatever app I was using before closing, so when I plug it in and turn it on again, I would be brought back to the state of the app right before it closed.

However, on my iPhone 5S, the app DOES NOT save before closing, causing me to lose the game I was playing, which I just made an in-app purchase in about 10 minutes prior to the phone shutting down. Upon reboot, I found that I was reverted to 15 minutes before the phone shut down, and I lost my in-app purchase. Although the cost isn't the issue here, I feel cheated out of my purchase because my new iPhone 5S does not behave the same as my previous iPhone 4S, so I did not expect to close the app manually once the battery reached ~1%.

I just tried it again with another app on my iPhone 5S, playing with it until it ran out of power and shut down, and yes, it didn't save the state it was in when I powered the phone on again. I also tried it with my old iPhone 4S, and sure enough, I am right back at where I was before the power down, do the issue lies within the new software and/or hardware. I now know not to run my iPhone 5S dry before saving my data and closing apps manually.

Is this a new bug introduced in iOS 7.0.4 and/or the iPhone 5S? I am really disappointed not only because I lost the game I was playing and the money I just spent, but also that Apple would change the behavior of the new phone to not automatically save and hibernate once the phone is out of power like it used to. Why would a helpful feature be removed?

Does anyone have any ideas? If not, will Apple kindly bring back the feature to save ALL apps before powering down the device? That would be much appreciated!

Best Regards,

Alan Ouyang

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4, Unexpected Behavior

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 2:44 PM

There are no replies.

iOS 7.0.4: App does not save data when powering off iPhone 5S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.