Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to view HT-1100 Modem Statistics directly from LAN side of Router

After lengthly experimentation to connect my newly installed HN Modem to a brand new Apple AirPort Extreme to use the AAE as my Router and as my DHCP Sever I finally succeeded.

In my success however, I can no longer access the HN modem using the 192.168.0.1 or DN, as it's on a different subnet.

I have meticulously documented all of my settings on the following web page rather than waste excessive space here as well as to provide a "How-To" guide for anyone else using the same equipment who might benefit.

MY QUESTION IS: How can I access the HN Modem from my desktop directly?

Documentation is here:

http://www.orijinations.com/Orijinations/HTML/AirPort_HughesNet/

TIA,

John

Ocean City, NJ

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 3:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2013 1:50 AM

The normal method to handle this problem would be to use a static route in the route table and a secondary IP on the AE so it can direct packets to the HNmodem.. unfortunately in this case, that is impossible. AE are very simple routers with very limited ability.. ie setting a secondary WAN IP address is way beyond its ability.

Your next problem is that if the HNModem is using 192.168.0.1 you have assigned that IP to the AE.. which is wrong.

I would much prefer to see you use the whole of the apple routers network setup on its normal 10.0.1.1 IP range, because then we have more hope of accessing the HN1100 on its IP on a computer.

What you will need.. I am sorry .. is a real router.. with a decent route table. So you can setup a secondary IP.

The best for doing this is third party firmware, like dd-wrt or gargoyle or tomato.. where I can point you to exact instructions..

Or you might be able to do a trick. Use a small switch between the HN1100 and the AE .. so you can have a second IP set in the computer.. what the apple routers lack the Mac does NOT.. you can set secondary IP to the network card.. but whether we can combine IP I am not sure.

Does the HN1100 have dhcp running on the local modem address so if you connect a router without a signal from satellite does the computer connected to it get private IP on the WAN port?? That is important.. if that is the case we must do this a bit tricky using a second ethernet in the computer.. and plug it into the switch between the router and the AE.. and use static IP.. but it is fairly easy in concept.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2013 1:50 AM in response to newmediagroup

The normal method to handle this problem would be to use a static route in the route table and a secondary IP on the AE so it can direct packets to the HNmodem.. unfortunately in this case, that is impossible. AE are very simple routers with very limited ability.. ie setting a secondary WAN IP address is way beyond its ability.

Your next problem is that if the HNModem is using 192.168.0.1 you have assigned that IP to the AE.. which is wrong.

I would much prefer to see you use the whole of the apple routers network setup on its normal 10.0.1.1 IP range, because then we have more hope of accessing the HN1100 on its IP on a computer.

What you will need.. I am sorry .. is a real router.. with a decent route table. So you can setup a secondary IP.

The best for doing this is third party firmware, like dd-wrt or gargoyle or tomato.. where I can point you to exact instructions..

Or you might be able to do a trick. Use a small switch between the HN1100 and the AE .. so you can have a second IP set in the computer.. what the apple routers lack the Mac does NOT.. you can set secondary IP to the network card.. but whether we can combine IP I am not sure.

Does the HN1100 have dhcp running on the local modem address so if you connect a router without a signal from satellite does the computer connected to it get private IP on the WAN port?? That is important.. if that is the case we must do this a bit tricky using a second ethernet in the computer.. and plug it into the switch between the router and the AE.. and use static IP.. but it is fairly easy in concept.

Unable to view HT-1100 Modem Statistics directly from LAN side of Router

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.