Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Brand New Iphone 5s Home Screen display defect

Here goes my ordeal with my Iphone 5s upgrade

After waiting in line for over an hour I purchased the Iphone 5s yesterday at Best Buy (Stonebriar, Frisco, TX). Later that evening, I noticed that when the time was 5:36, the home screen display was not showing the digit 6. Instead it showed a blur. I then changed the time manually to 6:36 and then to 6:43 and each time there was a digit 6 the display showed a blur instead. I must note that the phone was sitting in the grass which was a little moist (which I believe was the causing the issue). I immediately went back to the Best Buy location where I purchased the phone and requested a replacement after showing the defect. The store manager wanted me to wait in the line and I refused to do so (they sold me a defective phone so I did not see a reason why I had to go in that line all over again when it was just a replacement!). Anyways, after a tiff with the manager I left that store with my defective phone.

Next day, I went to the Apple store (Willowbend mall, Plano). I was greeted by genteleman at the entrance of the store who nicely asked if he could help. The moment I told him I suspected my new Iphone 5s was defective he said 'What!!' and made an expression of disbilief. Funny! I was asked to go to another peson who was standing and waving his hand further inside the store. I go to him and explain to him the problem and when I try to demonstrate it does not happen! Oh dear! Luckily I had enough screenshots in store and I showed them all to the store clerk. He then tells me that he can take the phone in for me and get it 'repaired'! In disbilief I ask him if he meant 'Replaced'? He says no, they will try to repair it first - he further speculates saying they will try a restore or maybe a front glass replacement and that if they still can't fix it, Apple will then replace the phone. In exasperation I tried to explain to him that the problem happened yesterday and then today it can't doesn't seem to happen, while adding that it is a brand NEW phone I purchased less than 24 hours ago and that I still am under the 14 day time-frame. I explain to him kindly that I would not be able to verify the fix (Apple does a restore or even changes the glass and returns me the phone and I must believe that the problem was fixed?? - Hel No!) and its not so nice to hear from Apple that they can't take responsibility for a defective product. He kindly says sorry and explains that it is policy and that they have to try to repair first. Oh how I wish I could've gotten Apple to sign my policy document for my money...sigh..don't work like that! So I left Apple and ran across to Best Buy mobile store asking for a replacement. The guy says Best Buy mother store and Best Buy Mobile store keep there own stock during holidays and he can't help. Sweet! I drive down 10 miles and go to a different Best Buy 'Mother' store and of course I'm asked to stand in the line. I swallow my pride and become a part of the line. My turn comes and again I explain the problem and of course the Best Buy clerk says 'Did you try a restore?' What!! Anyways, after a bit of reasoning (cribbing) with a couple of Best Buy agents, I was able to get them to replace my Iphone 5s (and of course they didn't have a gold color so I had to settle for the space gray..not a big deal though as long as this one is not defective also!)

So anybody had this display issue? Issue with Apple customer service?

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Rs,

GH

iPhone 5s, iOS 7.0.4, Display defect

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 3:46 PM

5 replies

Dec 2, 2013 12:59 AM in response to ghoulhades

Take it back to Apple they would replace it for a knew one

If you ordered it online from the apple site u can walk into a store and get it replaced

If you bought it from a carrier contact the carrier and tell them what's going on they should sent you a knew phone

Depending on AT&T I don't know how long their returns and exchanges are but if I'm right it should be 14 days or 30 days I'm not sure contact art if you bought it from them

Dec 2, 2013 11:44 AM in response to albertofromnewhall

I don't think your read my post completely. Apple refused to replace. Instead they offered to repair a brand new 'defective' phone.

I eventually got a replacement from Best Buy and just as I feared this one is defective too. I noticed that there is some rattling sound when the phone vibrates. If I shake the phone back and forth in my hand there is an audible sound. Something is loose inside! Now I'm back to square one. Very disappointed with Apple. Hopefully Best Buy will replace the phone (I wouldn't go to Apple and have another rep tell me they will try to repair) . Otherwise Apple is going out of my Window! And what does it leave me with? 😝

Dec 2, 2013 12:13 PM in response to ghoulhades

Lol yea I realized I didn't really read it correctly

But yea you shouldn't have any issue going back to bestbuy and getting it replaced :)

Cause I went to tmobile to get my iPhone 5s replaced for a new one 4x till I got a good one and they didn't seem to like that but I didn't care lol (:

But you should go back and get it exchanged :p

I don't go to the apple stores anymore cause I released the phones they give us aren't new they are phones that are used and just made to look new and are fixed up

Dec 2, 2013 1:38 PM in response to ghoulhades

Well they offered to do everything they could to work with you on the device....Just like being human there are times things just go wrong. You fought against people at the store level who have /zero/ control over policy and had their hands tied by what theri bosses tell them to do. They not only rushed you to get service to repair the device but you didn't even do any troubleshooting of your own to try to repair it. Now what if a restore had fixed your issue, you would have kept your device, your color, and what you paid for...

Why /wouldn't/ you try to repair something before spending your gas/time to replace it the moment something is amiss.

Dec 2, 2013 3:46 PM in response to MetaSolaray

Well they offered to do everything they could to work with you on the device....You are right in saying that the offered what they 'could'. Unfortunately what they could was tied by company policy.

Just like being human there are times things just go wrong- 2 out 2 IPhones 5s in 2 days! I hope people are doing better :-p

You fought against people at the store level who have /zero/ control over policy and had their hands tied by what theri bosses tell them to do. Agreed. I left instead of fighting. Unfortunately they are the first line of support and a manager maybe as far I'd get. Would love to chat with Steve Jobs but I guess now there is only one way for that :-p

They not only rushed you to get service to repair the device but you didn't even do any troubleshooting of your own to try to repair it. Now what if a restore had fixed your issue, you would have kept your device, your color, and what you paid for... - I disagree. If you read my original post, the problem happened the same evening I bought the phone. When I went to Apple I was not able to reproduce the issue. So you tell me how do I verify that restore fixed it? Wait and watch? After 14 days I can't even return the phone. The other speculation made by the rep was changing the glass. I would not try that for obvious reasons.

Why /wouldn't/ you try to repair something before spending your gas/time to replace it the moment something is amiss.

hmmm..

Now the 2nd new phone makes a rattling sound. Something is loose inside..I'd rather spend gas/time and return it than get them 'repair' it or give me a refurbished phone! Why? Because I can at this point and still get a new one with possibly no defects(fingers crossed) or I could find a company that makes better quality products :-p

Brand New Iphone 5s Home Screen display defect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.