Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Columns moving around

For the past few months when I move the mouse over the spreadsheet, columns (with figures) move around, often out of sight, especially off to the left of the sheet. This means that if I want to change a number in a particular cell, I often have to chase it around the screen! 😟

I have Numbers '09, version 2.3 (554) and OSX 10.8.5. I am not sure of the timings but I wonder if this started when I upgraded the operating system to 10.8.5. All I know is that it used to behave well - I haven't always had this problem.

It is probably something simple that I have not done, but I cannot find anything that matches what is happening here. As you will realise, I use the program in a very basic way, just for home use.

I would be very grateful if someone could please tell me how to stop the spreadsheet moving around!

Anne Mowlam

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 5:53 PM

10 replies

Dec 2, 2013 5:58 PM in response to Badunit

Badunit - I am sorry I did not explain very well.

All the columns move together, so I lose sight of one or several columns off to the side of the screen (or page). I have spent a lot of time on this spreadsheet over the past few months and I realised today that I have had the problem for around the same time. So I checked another sheet that was fairly similar and it seems that the problem is linked to the spreadsheet I am using a lot. I matched the settings of the two but other than having a different font, they looked the same. Nothing fancy is set up in either of them.

The problem one seems to be extremely sensitive to any movement of the mouse. A slight movement of the mouse can send it off 2 inches to the side. There is no problem vertically.

I know it does not solve the problem but I am now wondering if I should create a new spreadsheet and manually enter the figures in again. Start with a clean slate.

One last thought - I have the Apple wireless mouse but it is about 4 years old now, and used a lot. Could it perhaps be wearing out and causing a problem with the task I am using it for most right now?

Anne

Dec 2, 2013 7:00 PM in response to Anne_in_Fife

I've never seen a document get jumpy like that. If it is just that one document, I'd guess something is off with it. My first guess would be an object in the document is not where it is supposed to be. I have seen tables mysteriously move slightly outside the margins, an impossible place to put a table. If you can click on each object and move them one by one away from the edges a little bit, maybe that will fix it. Then you can put them all back where they belong.

Just a guess, though.

Mar 21, 2016 6:42 AM in response to ralucyk

I'm having the same problem as the original poster. Unfreezing the rows/columns didn't help.

It's like the spreadsheet is a table on a white background. I can move the table/white background combination around so that gray shows around it. I'd like to be able to "freeze" the table/white background combination.

Mar 21, 2016 7:58 AM in response to LeonD

Hi Leon,

Numbers 3.6.1

Perhaps the answer is that you accidentally moved the table into the left (or top) margin of the document.

Use these settings in Numbers > Menu > Preferences > Rulers:

User uploaded file

Very useful for arranging objects on a page!

Then Numbers > Menu > View > Show Rulers.

From the left ruler, drag an Alignment Guide to the right to align with zero on the top ruler. You will see a black "lozenge" appear with white text showing the "x" position of the Alignment Guide. A bit fiddly, but release the mouse or trackpad when it shows x: 0 cm (or inches).

From the top ruler, drag an Alignment Guide to align with zero on the left ruler. Just as fiddly!

I dragged the table (by the "bullseye" top left) into the margins on purpose, just to illustrate.

User uploaded file

The orange lines are the Alignment Guides. They do not print.

Now drag the table by the "bullseye" into the body of the document (inside the Alignment Guides):

User uploaded file

Happy Numbering!

Regards,

Ian.

Columns moving around

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.