Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to erase external hard drive with Disk Utility

Macbook Pro (mid 2010) running 10.9

Hello

Recently, my Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex 1 TB external hard drive has not been showing up on my desktop or in finder. The light is on when connected, and in the Disk Utility it appears.

1. It was naturally created with a partition on it (all of the 1TB allocated to it) and it appears in the Disk Utility as well; however, it is grayed out.

2. I clicked the actual drive in DU and it was verified as being ok. I clicked on the partition next to verify and it said "Error disk needs repaired"

3. So I clicked repair, "Disk Utility cannot repair the disk..restore as many as your backed-up files...etc."

4. No problem (the data on the hard drive is used for my Time Machine back ups and my current internal hard drive is working fine with all the data intact)

5. Ok, so I click the erase tab on the entire external hard drive...erase..."Disk cannot be unmounted"

6. Ok, I try to erase the invidual partition..."Could not open disk"

It seems every time I try to erase this drive completely im hitting blocks. I even tried this method from the OS X Recovery menu (Command+R on startup). I would greatly appreciate any help to just get this whole thing external hard drive erased and start anew. How else would I go about this?

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

(pictures for reference)

Thank you all

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 10:47 PM

2 replies

Dec 2, 2013 10:18 AM in response to leomeister104

If this is your only backup device, you need to start a new backup on another drive immediately. Don't erase (or try to erase) your only backup.

After you have the other backup, boot into Recovery and try again to erase the volume. You will have to unlock it before you can do anything with it, because it's encrypted.

If you still can't erase it, the drive has failed.

Unable to erase external hard drive with Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.