Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

my son has homework on a memory stick from school computer my imac won't unzip/open the files , do i need a special programme

My son has homework on a memory stick, when we put it in imac it opens and we can see all the files on there mainly zip and exe files but when i try opening them i just get incrypted letters?

Do i need a special programme to unzip/decompress to open and read the files ?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 11:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2013 5:13 AM

The .exe files will only open under Windows.

The .zip files are "compressed" and should expand after a double click. You may have to drag them to your Desktop first.

3 replies

Dec 2, 2013 5:33 AM in response to Burtswarrior

Sounds like they are Windows file formats, too. Probably Word or even Powerpoint presentations.

Pages (OS X and iOS) can open most Word files and Keynote can view the slide shows in Powerpoint. But you shouldn't have to purchase software to run school assignments.

The instructor could use plain text documents (.txt) that will open nearly anywhere.

my son has homework on a memory stick from school computer my imac won't unzip/open the files , do i need a special programme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.