Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Should I go with 1TB HDD or 256 GB SSD?

I'm going to buy a Mac Mini (Intel Core i7 quad-core; not i5 dual-core) and use the Intensity Shuttle for Thunderbolt to record gameplay footage on to the Mini in uncompressed format. I know uncompressed files are huge and will eat up disk space, but in order to record in uncompressed, I'm supposed to have fast enough storage such as SSD or a RAID (whatever this is) to avoid dropped frames when recording. Is this true? Or, can I go with the stock 5400 RPM HDD's and don't have to worry about dropped frams when recording to uncompressed? I want to go uncompressed for editing with FCP X. I'm not going to be recording an hour of gameplay footage. Just like 10 or 20 minutes. Let's also not forget about the time and CPU resoruces needed to decode the uncompressed files for editing. Please help me. I'm new to these things.

Mac mini, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on Dec 1, 2013 10:27 PM

5 replies

Dec 1, 2013 10:53 PM in response to Pikachu10

Hi,

I don't really know the answrt, but in my experience 5400 RPM drives don't cut the mustard even for mundane stuff.

I'm guessing here, but I think upgrading the storage yourself might be the best option...

http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades.cfm?sort=pop&model=463&type=Internal+Dr ive

RAID (whatever this is)

RAID 0 combins 2 or more drives as one to double R/W speeds & capacity, RAID 1 essentially slows the system down as it mirrors to 2 drives at once.

Dec 7, 2013 10:46 PM in response to Pikachu10

I would try to stay away from 5400 RPM HDDs. If you decide to go HDD get a 7200 RPM. It is faster. Also while SSD might seem like a good option, storage is pretty expensive. If you go this route, I would also get external storage. In my personal opinion, I would get a hybrid drive. Seagate makes one that is a 7200RPM 750 GB with 8 GB SSD. I recently upgraded my computer with one and it makes a difference in boot up time and such. I wouldn't be too worried about drop frames for such short recordings.

Dec 8, 2013 4:09 AM in response to halodude124

I used a 750GB Seagate Hybrid and also an SSD as a stand alone drive in my Mini. Both worked really well. It is my understanding that Seagate no longer makes the 7200 RPM Hybrid drive and is now just making the 5400RPM version so look around to find one. I ended up using a 512GB SSD (it was on sale from Amazon) but either way is good. I also agree that the stock 5400 RPM drive is slow.

Should I go with 1TB HDD or 256 GB SSD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.