Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Troubles with making iPod an external hard drive. Very frustrated. Please help..

I need to make my iPod an external hard drive, and the “enable disk use” option does not appear for me. I've gone through all the settings, reverted back to 10.7 and gone through all of those settings too. I've watched a million ****ing tutorials and I still can't find it. The reason I ask is because I want to switch to Winamp media player, which also has the ability to manage music on mobile devices (including iPod), but Winamp wont recognize my iPod unless it's an external hard drive. I'm going to go insane, if I can't get my music back for school work. Thanks for anyone that helps.

- Lewis 😢

iPod touch, iOS 6.1.5

Posted on Dec 2, 2013 4:39 AM

4 replies

Apr 14, 2014 4:56 PM in response to Saneaux

I've read about free apps that made it possible again to use your ipod as a hard drive (Discover, FTP Server, etc...). But they all vanished for some reason... So I'm looking for new ones:

So far I found this one in the App store:

User uploaded file

Unfortunately, it requires add'l apps to be installed for transfers between a computer and mobile device. So I'll keep looking.

Message was edited by: chillesennogada

Apr 14, 2014 5:45 PM in response to chillesennogada

Here's another one:

User uploaded file

You need iOS 7.0 and Mac OS X 10.8. I have an Ipod Touch 4. I tried to update iOS from 6.1.6 to 7.0. I got no error message, but I checked "software update" in the ipod settings. The iOS version is still 6.1.6 and it says that "my software is up to date". So go figure!

You need to install it on both your Mac and your iOS device. The screenshot above is from: http://www.beyondf.com/airbridge/. The page contains links to both the Mac and the iOS versions.

Troubles with making iPod an external hard drive. Very frustrated. Please help..

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.